Votes: 22 15.4%
  • No, I'm not DIR

Votes: 76 53.1%
  • I'm working towards DIR status

Votes: 45 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveski01 once bubbled...

The bungie is tied such that it forms an opening which surrounds the mouthpiece. Snug up each end to secure it. I've quickly tried to find a clear image and have this but will try to find a better shot.

That's how mine is. So why do I keep reading that it should go through the ziptie?

Or am I misreading this?

From wkpp.org:

We hang it around the neck on surgical tubing or bungee which is held on by the tie wrap that holds the mouthpiece to the regulator.

This is probably splitting hairs, but I think the reasoning is that the current method is more secure. There is some concern that with the "slip over the mouthpiece" method the reg could easily come out.

I have experienced this myself on a few occasions, and have gone to the zip tie method. I do like it better. I've also switched to bungee because it doesn't deteriorate as fast.

Doof once bubbled...

That's how mine is. So why do I keep reading that it should go through the ziptie?

Or am I misreading this?

From wkpp.org:

I have not (yet) come across someone with the bungee necklace under the zip tie. Using a fishermans knot (slip knot on both sides) I just stretch the knots apart and pull over the mouth piece and then pull on each side of the necklace until it is tight around the mouth piece. This has worked for me.

Edit to add:

I may have to check into doing it this way, it might be better.

My equipment is set up to be DIR or at least close to DIR "book" specs, I already have lifestyle/dietary plan/exercise regimine that fits their recomendations (from doing other sports, not from any DIR relevation), and I like their emphasis on Diver knowledge and Diver skills, but I am not DIR nor am I striving to be 100% DIR. I would say I'm diving a (fairly standardized) Hogarthian rig.

I'm not 100% DIR nor striving to such a standard simply because while I can understand the reasoning behind some decisions, I personally have made other decisions because it suits me and my diving better currently. Eg. While I dive plans/alternates, I also wear and use a computer as a computer. I have a fourth keeper/d-ring on my right hip, I put it on as a stay for the cannister instead of the buckle, but since it is there, I have been known to clip off my reel there instead of rear buttring, especially when out of water. There are other small differences as well.

Having a well thought out and standardized dive practices/rigs/gasses as DIR promotes is a very good system. If you can get past the wannabes who cite the "book standard" and try to beat you over the head with it, but have no understanding as to the reasoning behind the standard, you will find that many of the reasons are well hashed out and have good foundation.

IMHO, you can tell how close to 100% "DIR" someone is (and there are a few of them on scubaboard) compared to a newb "DIR wannabe" (and boy did we get a few of those....)because the ALL the ones closer to 100% DIR are able to explain the DIR choices/gear setup and back it up with solid reasons, though not all of them are pleasent about it.

The wannabies are laughable in that when looking at any ideas other than "book DIR" just say "It's not DIR, DIR says that it's this way or you are a low life stroke, going to die, die, DIE!!! Oh, and you are going to take out 20 of your stroke buddies in the process" because they don't understand the why's behind what they are parroting. While the wannabies are similar in tone to the less pleasant DIR rolemodels, there is a decided difference in the substantiveness behind the arguments of the two. It's even funnier when the DIR wannabe lambasts you in one thread about how much of a stupid stroke you are, also in another thread expouses non-DIR practices/gearsetups/lifestyles (some of them fairly core ideal violations at that), yet still claims to be Paladins of 100% DIR.

There is a lot to be learned from the DIR ideals and GUE, and their standards/ideals are good to strive to, just don't turn into bleating sheep with no brains to understand the reasoning behind the practices/guidelines.

I and my buddies do have our secondary bungied under zip-ties.

runvus4 once bubbled...
I'm not 100% DIR nor striving to such a standard simply because while I can understand the reasoning behind some decisions, I personally have made other decisions because it suits me and my diving better currently. Eg. While I dive plans/alternates, I also wear and use a computer as a computer. I have a fourth keeper/d-ring on my right hip, I put it on as a stay for the cannister instead of the buckle, but since it is there, I have been known to clip off my reel there instead of rear buttring, especially when out of water. There are other small differences as well.

IMHO, you can tell how close to 100% "DIR" someone is (and there are a few of them on scubaboard) compared to a newb "DIR wannabe" (and boy did we get a few of those....)because the ALL the ones closer to 100% DIR are able to explain the DIR choices/gear setup and back it up with solid reasons, though not all of them are pleasent about it.

Hi Runvus4. I found your post very interesting reading, and I do agree with you about some of the problems with DIR newbies. It's amazing to me that some people will actually change something about their SCUBA setup without being convinced of it's validity. I guess this is where the "religion" aspect comes in.

There are a few instances where I can understand it. For example, when chosing a drysuit, it's not so easy to figure out what works, and going by an experienced persons recommendation makes sense.

However, for most aspects of the DIR system, knowing the reasons behind it are (IMO) essential to using it properly.

I have a couple of questions about your setup. You mention that you use a D-ring to keep the light canister in place. Since we are talking about reasons...the reason that there is no D-ring in that spot on a DIR system, is that the light may need to be removed if you get keyed, and also functions as a small droppable weight for many people. I realize that this is less of an issue in open water and if you have a small weight belt which you can drop. However, if you use the D-ring to attach a reel, I could see this interfering with long hose deployment, which is obviously not a good thing.

As for using a computer, we do not dive "plan/alternates". I typically plan the dive based on available gasses, depth, conditions, etc. If we dive the plan, great. If for some reason we did something else, which does happen, we simply do our deep stops and figure out the deco at the first major stop (usually 70 ft).

The reason for not using a computer, is that if you do use a computer you run into several problems. First of all, you won't remember your profiles as well, because you an always rely on the computer. It's kind of like the difference between someone telling you something and having to look it up. Once you've gone through the trouble of lookign it up, you'll remember. If there is no effort, it's in one ear out the other. At least this is my experience.

Second, the computer will usually keep you in the water longer, because it will penalize you for doing your deep stops. It may also keep you in the water longer because it's too conservative.

There has been a lot of talk recently about computers and how unrelieable they are. Check out the Uwatec thread.

I think there is nothing wrong with throwing a computer in your pocket and having it there for peace of mind, at least at first. You'll probably end up bending the computer, because it's so conservative and so punishing for any deep stops.

The most important aspects of DIR can't really be explored without in water training anyway. "rigging" DIR, is less than half the story. Situational awareness, team awareness, etc. etc. are all much more important.

I hope you don't feel I'm a laughable DIR wannabe parroting the less than pleasant role models...

PM'd a reply since it its going off off topic on a fairly wide tangent.

When I first started to read this board I thought DIR people were crazy. Now that I have some more experience and have learned more about diving and why DIR does it the way they do, I now am working toward that goal, will I be 100% DIR… Don’t know time will tell.

for me DIR means Doing it Rebreather!

Reading Quest archives... GI attachs his shock cord (bungee) with the zip tie.

From personal experience, Dave Sweetin and Tyler Moon do it the EE way, tying a knot around the mouth piece.

Mine, personally, is surgical tubing attached to the zip tie. Basically the only comment I received was that my chosen tubing was too thin (and on further questioning, found that tubing had fallen out of use).

Er, all that is to say: if you can get the bungee under the zip tie, that is a perfectly fine way to do it. If you tie it around very tight so that it doesn't pull off the mouthpiece, that's fine too.

jeff

Doof once bubbled...

Or am I misreading this?

From wkpp.org:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom