Votes: 22 15.4%
  • No, I'm not DIR

Votes: 76 53.1%
  • I'm working towards DIR status

Votes: 45 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
What I meant and should have communicated more clearly was the core areas such as the need for canister lights, wings/harness, isolator manifolds etc. These core or foundation areas have been well covered. We will all have much to learn about decompression, gas mixes where and when etc, but the majority of these areas are in good grasp, and we can build from them.

I should write down a little bit more of what I am thinking to not seem to be misleading or assuming something, you are completely correct that all the mistakes have not happened yet, but we can utilize the knowledge experience and results of these trials and tribulations to help us not repeat or encounter the same mistakes of others

Configuration items as core areas? The configuration offers (arguably) "best-practices" or solutions to needs/problems. The configuration is not a goal in and of itself although on the internet you might get this impression. In fact you might get the impression that DIR is "just" a set of gear.....

What "need(s)" or "problem(s)" is a canister light addressing? The core knowledge is in understanding the problem you're solving. I think the reason that discussions about DIR get so bogged down in the "one true way" fights is that people understand the solutions but they don't understand how the masters of the system arrived at these solutions. You see exactly the same thing in martial-arts where people have great "faith" in their style and consider it the best without being able to show you how they got to that conclusion.

Ignorance demands faith. Knowledge is power and all that.....

R..

Me closed minded - No Way.

I was a super stroke 2 years ago, everyone was at one point, but people took the time to teach me the right way and they made me promise to do the same for others.

The things that are DIR approved or DIR decided - whaterer should be taken into use. THere is a reason why for EVERYTHING this is not just taken blindly. This is one of the beauties of DIR. If you want to twist things and turn it around to fit some agenda, go ahead, I won't be part of it, but you won't get me or others to just quit or walk away just because you want to stir up trouble.

Give it a rest. If you want to argue with me, do it but do it with facts. If I am wrong, I will say so, but don't whine and cry about it

If being a stroke means believing that :
1. Diving is a sport not a religion
2. I am not going to die just because I wear the "wrong" equipment.
3. Diving is supposed to be FUN.

Then I guess I am a stroke, and I do not take it as an insult.

Get a life...

HarleyDiver once bubbled...
If being a stroke means believing that :
1. Diving is a sport not a religion
2. I am not going to die just because I wear the "wrong" equipment.
3. Diving is supposed to be FUN.

Then I guess I am a stroke, and I do not take it as an insult.

I must be a super-stroke, because diving for me is recreation, not even a sport -- since that implies it is some sort of competition.

I notice that there a lots of divers for whom the attraction is the challenge of doing a difficult dive -- i.e. the sport of diving. For others of us, diving is a way to get underwater and have a good time looking at the reef, or whatever.

Many on this board seem to think that recreational diving is merely a steppingstone to tech diving. Wrong.

Charlie

Well,
I would say I am 2/3 the way there. The only thing I have too work on is my reg setup. My dad won't let me put my backup under my neck because he thinks it is going to choke me or something or it might get caught on something. But everything else I am DIR BP and Wings, no comp ect....
Tekkie

I have a little history question here...care to answer anyone?

Perhaps I'm mistake but wasn't the origin of the term "stroke" in reference to all the tech divers who used to show-up and suck-up to George and would "stroke" his ego but in his opinion they really had no clue what they were doing and their gear was wrong etc. etc. So the real definition of a "stroke" was someone who spent their time sucking up to George but who didn't really have a clue themselves. People who were just into the "image" and "name dropping" and "tech talk" but who were themselves far from really having any true idea of what they were talking about...hangers on if you will. Therefore, it would seem to me that the current batch of "DIR lemmings" ::wink:: who have shown up here would actually be strokes by definition.

Me, DIR? Well, putting my gear together piece by piece to the DIR set-up, like the dive planning and team work portions. Big check mark for the fitness portion. A big negatory to the bow down to the church of George portion...which I actually don't think is DIR anyway but seems to be lost on some of the diciples argueing as to who gets to sit at his right hand.:eek:ut:

Recreational Diving is not a stepping stone, it is a requirement.

If you don't have decent experience doing recreational diving, you will put yourself at too much risk when doing "tech" diving.

I don't have a problem with the idea of Tech diving being a personal goal. I do however have a problem with people that rush into it b/c they can take the class. A class will only teach you a fraction of what you learn in the water!

The rest is the idea of recreational diving with backplate/wing.

DIR is hogarthian tweaked. I like the concepts of hogarthian alot and I like the way it performs in the water. I dive almost exclusively recreationally (i.e. no tech) and DIR would not work well.

I won't refuse to dive with someone that may fall under the category of "stroke". If they're a dumbass, I won't dive with them. If the their gear is crap and will most likely fail, I won't dive with them. I have a hard enough time finding someone to dive with in the first place.

Certain DIR principles do not work when you start diving w/ non-DIR divers. I.e. I have my octo around my neck, but I will not put the bungie through my mouthpiece zip-tie. I don't know which reg a non-DIR diver will grab (may not even be my buddy, cattle-boat anyone?).

I like the long hose because if I have to share gas, it makes my life easier. If I need gas, I won't care how long the hose is!

I am very happy to see people pushing common-sense skills. I am very tired of diving with people that have no concept of keeping silt where it belongs. This is not only courtesy, but increases safety. The idea that most people couldn't reach their tank valve disturbs me! I am most interested in how I can be a better diver (not based on gear) based on the skill I have in the water.

Think about what's going to make you a better diver, and do it!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom