Votes: 22 15.4%
  • No, I'm not DIR

Votes: 76 53.1%
  • I'm working towards DIR status

Votes: 45 31.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoyalAquaMaster once bubbled...
I'm just curious - I'd like to know the percentage of DIR divers on this message board. True 100% DIR subscribers...

Nobody can every be 100% DIR because nobody is perfect.

R..

Yep, one hardcore true believer right here!! Of course I was not always this way and you always have more to learn, but DIR has not only been a God send but saved my life and countless other lives for a long time now.

DIR is so much more than equipment or brand. The heart of it rests in you attitude, willingness to admit that you are wrong and the ability to set aside pride to do things the right way. All of us were what we call strokes at one point in time. (I am talking about myself not anyone in particular so don't edit my post =) I was just like most other divers at one point, oblivious to right way to do things, invincible and a complete victim of the recreational dive industry (I even had a jacket style BCD and split fins ) God forgive me.....

Now I can not tell you enough how much DIR has changed my life, and my ability to not only be a good diver and diving instructor, but the family and welcomness you receive as a DIR diver. Of course there are a lot of people that insist that they are the experts and they know best, and there are only a few of those (George Irvine, Jarrod Jablonski) etc. They have the data, experience and proof to back up what they say and do.

Don't reinvent the wheel, it has already been refined and build for you, just take it into use and welcome to the real world of diving.

David

I believe that no one can ever really become 100% DIR the way it is defined by George. Even George himself by his own admittance isn't 100% by the book. How can anyone be? If the true goal of DIR is to always look for a better/safer way to do something, then one may "stray" from the established norm of equipment/fitness/nutrition/attitude in order to find another way to do something right/better.

I look at being DIR as a journey instead of a destination.

CrazyC

You are correct, it is a journey, and hopefully a never ending one. The core foundation is laid, and those are the key building blocks. Of course there are very few people if any that can say they are 100% DIR, the poll is a bit misleading in that way. However (for me personally) I strive to be 100% DIR for those things that have been put in place. When people like George tal about "Real life diving" and how he does or does not do certain things, I modify myself or equipment to match, and incorporate his knowledge the best I can.

He is a direct to the point and sometimes ruthless person, but he is one of the people I respect and admire the most, and I am proud to call him my friend. Yes he has slammed me, and yes I was a super stroke at one time (so was he also by his own admission). You should read his article "My 77th Cave Dive" You will see just how mortal George was, is and how much he himself has grown.

That's the beauty of it. We don't have to reinvent the wheel. All the mistakes and tests have already been done, and we don't have to die or hurt ourselves or others in a struggle to hash it out by ourselves. Of course the world of diving and DIR is not written in stone, but since none of us have done that they do, I feel confident in saying that we can rely on, trust and incorporate their knowledge and abilities to help us towards where they are. By the time we get there if anytime actually they will be on to the next step, and then we can continue the journey as you already pointed out.

Take care and it's nice to see a good post starting. I hope it stays this way.

All the mistakes and tests have already been done,

Not even close. And there is a lot out there that many assume as fact, which is in reality only conjecture. Really!

What I meant and should have communicated more clearly was the core areas such as the need for canister lights, wings/harness, isolator manifolds etc. These core or foundation areas have been well covered. We will all have much to learn about decompression, gas mixes where and when etc, but the majority of these areas are in good grasp, and we can build from them.

I should write down a little bit more of what I am thinking to not seem to be misleading or assuming something, you are completely correct that all the mistakes have not happened yet, but we can utilize the knowledge experience and results of these trials and tribulations to help us not repeat or encounter the same mistakes of others

you might not be the best spokesperson for DIR. Go seek some advice from Uncle Pug so that you can be a better one. He has spent quite a bit of effort and time on this board to debunk some of the myths that you seem determined to prove true. I give this advice not only to you, but to all those determined to save those who feel no need for scuba salvation. Yes, I believe in diversity in diving. Go figure!

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...

DIR is so much more than equipment or brand. The heart of it rests in you attitude, willingness to admit that you are wrong and the ability to set aside pride to do things the right way... <<snip>> ...invincible and a complete victim of the recreational dive industry (I even had a jacket style BCD and split fins )

Dude...how close minded can you be. I was under the impression that DIR was a philosiphy of being open minded and taking into account factors X, Y, and Z to come up with the best formula you have available for the dive you are planning.

If that means I don't have the $$ to drop on a BP and wings, Drysuit, and whatever else, you are saying I shouldn't be diving? I don;t consider myself a victim, but a student of the diving industry...no one should consider themself a victim, but if you want to, go ahead.

I plan on learning as much as I can and going from there. If I'm not comfortable with set-up XYZ, I'm not going to dive that rig. I am going to dive following the protocols that makes sense to me, and use what methods I feel are best.

NetDoc once bubbled...
you might not be the best spokesperson for DIR. Go seek some advice from Uncle Pug so that you can be a better one. He has spent quite a bit of effort and time on this board to debunk some of the myths that you seem determined to prove true. ....

Well said

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom