DIR or Sorta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stainless????

Why of course they're stainless.
Gotta get a set now, eh? They make some nice bungee eyelets.
I posted a pic here some darn place of a necklace I slapped together.

Geez, all these admissions about NOT being "all or nothing", you guys need to recite the secret DIR mantra a few thousand more times every day.
I have a sale on japa beads this week...

:mean:

This seems like a good topic to post my question. I currently have hoses about 40" long for both main regulator and octopus. I'm convinced of the benefit of sharing the main and keeping the spare, and already have the bungee necklace for the spare regulator. Until I'm ready to buy another quality reg, I'm planning on attaching the necklace to my octo (Aqualung LPO). In OW course and subsequent dives, my buddy and I always practiced the method we were originally taught, which was sharing the octo.

I'm always going to need a snorkel for foreseeable dives as it will be ocean or open lake (no caves). I've read that a 5-ft main hose can tangle with the snorkel. My main reg is a Sherwood Maximus with the swivel, allowing the hose to drop straight down.

So finally, after all the background info, my question is whether I should go out and buy new EE hoses to get the "proper" lengths, is it 5-ft main reg, 24" backup reg, and 22" SPG (I forget exactly, but EE lists the hose set in their online catalog). Or stick with 40" for the main reg, which now goes nicely under my arm and up to my mouth, and is long enough to share (being exactly the same length as came with the octo) in ocean and lake circumstances, and won't tangle with the snorkel. Either way I guess I should shorten the backup reg hose and perhaps the SPG hose.

My main concern is that, after being all ready to get the EE hose set, I read the post about tangling with the snorkel when deploying the long hose over one's head. So now I'm confused. BTW, I'm new to diving with just 3 dives so far after OWC.

Regards,
Peter

Lost Yooper,

You could call yourself the Sugar Beater, but than you’d be dating yourself, ah?

Mike

(P.S. originally from Munising)

Originally posted by pdomen
My main concern is that, after being all ready to get the EE hose set, I read the post about tangling with the snorkel when deploying the long hose over one's head. So now I'm confused. BTW, I'm new to diving with just 3 dives so far after OWC.
Good morning Peter,
Why do you need a snorkel... what are you using it for?

IF you must have a snorkel... do not attach it to your mask... rather carry it in a pocket or some other way... you can slip it under the band of your mask when in use.

The long hose is not the only thing that can snag on a snorkel and remove the mask from your face.

UP,

So far my diving was in Bonaire, off the shore. It often involved swimming a ways on the surface. I was taught that the snorkel allows saving air while swimming for a while (no question about that). I guess I hadn't thought about not having the snorkel. This seems like another area where we've been taught something as "dogma" that may in fact not be the 'best' way to go.

In my short time (so far) in both pool and ocean I must admit I've often been a bit confounded by the presence of the snorkel hanging down off my mask. That is, I've many times reached for my inflator and grabbed the snorkel instead! My reaction, probably not unusual for a newbie, is embarassment and the feeling I must get more experience so that I can correctly reach for my inflator each time and not grab the snorkel. But now you've caused me to think more about whether I should ditch the snorkel, and just carry it along in case I do need a long surface swim at some point. I don't think it would fit in my thigh pocket, but I'm sure I can find a spot for it somewhere.

Thanks for giving me something new to think about and try!

Regards,
Peter

Originally posted by pdomen
Thanks for giving me something new to think about and try!
You are welcome.

And now for something else to think about... swimming on your back... sure every once in a while you have to turn around and look to make sure you are heading in the right direction but it is much easier and obviates the need for a snorkle on a long surface swim.

And taking a bearing on something on shore can help your navigation whilst swimming on your back as can a bearing on a cloud if the wind is not blowing too hard.... or even the direction of the sun if you are not swimming too slow... but never never take a bearing on a seagull.

IF you must have a snorkel... do not attach it to your mask... rather carry it in a pocket or some other way... you can slip it under the band of your mask when in use.

I ask my OW instructor exactly this. He grunted some sort of dogma answer because his hands are tied. I know he recently took a few DIR courses, so after I got my C-Card I asked him again. Stick it in your pocket if you want one.

Just like to add one student in the pool session doing OOA drills misstook there snorkle for there reg. Damn thing is a hazard under water. Do what is right and makes sense, not 'beacuse its in the book'.

My carma ran over your dogma.

I have a snorkel keeper on my left chest d-ring, other end is secured with the bicycle innertube slid over the webbing, use a plain old J tube snorkel, points down towards toes when stowed in this fashion. It's secure & doesn't pick up fishing line or weeds.
Slide snorkel up under mask strap for those 1/2 mile surface swims through the whitecaps.

I never cease to be impressed with the help and suggestions I learn from this board. I'll give all these ideas a try.

Regards,
Peter

That's a good one :thumb:. Actually, everyone seems to be growing potatos around here :).

Pdomen, ditch the snorkle and get the right hoses. I prefer a 7' hose over the 5' (which was too short for me with a single tank). A 40" hose works, but a 7' is more streamlined when routed properly.

Good luck,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom