dir or not dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by scuba_guy

As for the DIRF course, honestly unless i see someone who has taken it and see that they are a better diver then me,.. well i'll have to wait.

When you're the best, then you're the best. No question about it.

You sure about that? Seal Elite adn Halcyon are the same manifold, but DR has sold them by several manufactures over the years and I thought they were selling the Thermos now.

BTW my experience has always been that the OMS manifolds are much fussier about bands and should really only be used with OMS bands (though probably Highlands are OK too). I've uses Scubapro and Sea Elite manifolds with all kinds of bands, homemade included, without any problem.

Oh and until a few years ago the center sections on most isolators manifolds were too narrow to allow full engagement with big tanks so on most doubles only one O-ring was engaged on the Sea Elite style manifolds.

Originally posted by WYDT

Have you checked out the Divers Supply/Halcyon/Dive Rite manifolds (they're all the same)? They are pretty heafty and at least as heafty or more so than any OMS I've ever seen.

DSAO!!

The Fundementals book describes the why of most of the aspects of DIR pretty good. There's nothing wrong with being skeptical with anything. Every part of DIR has a well thought out reason behind it which is important to it's whole. It's the completeness of it all that makes it unique and successfull.

Mike

and what is DIR's first rule??? if your not DIR then your dangerous and no one shold dive with you!!! i think they went a bit over board with that...

and what is DIR's first rule??? if your not DIR then your dangerous and no one shold dive with you!!! i think they went a bit over board with that...
{Gotta remember... decent folk listening in trying to learn...}

Hi there scuba_guy,
DIRs rule number one... is not as you paraphrased it... actually that wasn't even a paraphrase... that was just plain ole twisting the words of others to try and make a point....

Rule number one is DON'T DIVE WITH STROKES... i.e. dives who are unsafe in their gear, training, attitude, preparation ect.

A legitimate paraphrase would be: DON'T DIVE WITH UNSAFE DIVERS... they are dangerous to themselves and to you...

Of course the original premise was for the extremes of cave and then technical diving... but it is applicable to all diving.

When I take non-GUE trained folks out for a dive it is always well within the parameters of their abilities... there are few non-GUE trained divers that I would dive with >60 fsw... very few. I owe it to myself and my family to only dive with safe divers, competent divers... divers who I can count on not to kill themselves or me.

My wife just finished reading the Last Dive and she has been worrying about me the whole time... I explained the difference between the way we dive and what she was reading about in the book... she is a non-diver but could understand the difference and feels at ease now. I owe it to her to dive with safe divers.

so what is a stroke?? Someone who is not DIR right??

To quote Bill Gavin regarding gear, a diver must "settle for nothing
less than perfection. Those who do will discover on their own the value
of such effort. Those who do not will never understand what the others
are talking about". What we have presented here is called the "Doing It
Right" system, and is a platform that is integrated completely and
accommodates all contingencies and additions, but no phobias. Use it
accordingly with one caveat - "never break Rule Number One", which is
"Don't dive with strokes". A "stroke" is somebody with an unsafe
attitude.
They say all strokes are unsafe?? I have to strongly disagree!!

"Don't dive with strokes". A "stroke" is somebody with an unsafe attitude.

They say all strokes are unsafe?? I have to strongly disagree!!
Of course you do.... it is.... well.... only natural that you would.

They say *a stroke is somebody with an unsafe attitude.*

You morph that to *they say all strokes are unsafe.*

And then you *have to strongly disagree!!*

But then you never give us the rest.

No reasons for disagreeing.

Only *I disagree*.

Thank you for sharing this insight into your thought processes.

... the colder the water, the greater the upset ... when doing a mask drill.

Good point there, Omar. I like to get my face in the ice water before even putting the mask on, sorta "gets you ready". Losing a mask in frosty water will impair your breathing for at least a moment or two, affects some folks much more severely.

UP...

2 rules...

#1 Don't dive with Strokes
#2 Don't feed trolls. :wink:

This is rediculous... you might as well argue with the wall. This guy is dead set that DIR is evil/bad/unbending/wants to assimilate him/etc/etc...

He doesn't even know enough to formulate a decent defense of his ideas.

scuba_guy: Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth! You don't have a clue what DIR is and apparently have no desire to find out.... that or you're just a troll as I said in the beginning.

DSAO!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom