DIR OpenWater config

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I saw this image and it looks like the primary reg is attached to a "standard" length OW "octopus" hose. Am I correct on this?

Is this still the prefered setup for a single tank Open Water DIR Config?

Thanks,

GUE requires either a 5 or 7 foot hose for Open Water training, and a 7 for Tech/Cave. Many just use the 7 for everything, rather than changing hose routing for Open Water. I think that's an old picture.

I use a 5' and 7' but after seeing that pic (of GI3's setup) I didn't know what was up?

The 5' works great for me, single tank OW.

Thanks,

That is 0ld sk00l DIR.

If you are planning on taking classes you want to use the 5 or 7 foot hose. Starting out learning to manage the 7 foot hose would be preferable since that is where you're going to wind up anyway. The 40" hose is also limiting compared to the 5 or 7 foot hose in the flexibility you get in OW about distance and positioning. I don't know if GI3 or JJ still uses 40" hoses on OW single tank dives, but if you have to ask you should go with the 7 foot...

I remember the 40" hose always being a George thing whereas JJ liked the 5' hose for OW.

I understood the 5' thing, and dove that configuration with success, but I could never understand why George liked the 40". I tried it and it made no sense at all compared to having a 5 or 7' primary.

I dive OW and wrecks, always with a cannister. So 7 ft it is. For customers who aren't getting a cannister light I always recommend a 5 ft. -And then tell them to come back and change to a 7 ft when they get the light...

I couldn't dive the 5' comfortably, it actually was too small and made turning my head hard to do. The 7' is perfect and before I got my canister I just tucked it into my belt (harness). Why waste money on a 5' when you're going to end up with a 7' anyhow?

runamonk:
I couldn't dive the 5' comfortably, it actually was too small and made turning my head hard to do. The 7' is perfect and before I got my canister I just tucked it into my belt (harness). Why waste money on a 5' when you're going to end up with a 7' anyhow?

Tucking overlenght hose in your belt isn't a good idea. It comes up when you least want it to. If a 5 ft is to short, it could of course be an idea to shorten the way around your waist by becoming a smaller person... But then if you're ok with a 7" & cannister you're at your target anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom