DIR on Weighing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
King Kong Matt,
Anyway - that was just my preliminary dive with the new drysuit on...so I am sure that the more I experiment with all this I'll find myself going lighter afterwards.

Fair enough...

When I add an AL40 for deco diving - how is that going to work with a traditional BC?

Just stuff it inside.:)

Thanks....but I kinda like my 'waist freedom' now...

For starters you need to figure out where the weight needs to be in order to be trimmed out properly. If you can't sit in a horizontal position without moving then you need to move the weight. Also you need to know how much weight it takes to just sink with basicly an empty tank. A buddy can help you figure out where it needs to be. We go to a pool with soft weights and and hover in a horizontal position then have the buddy place the weights on our backs either high or low, depending on where they need to be.

Now once you know where and how much you can start putting them on. I have a 5lb P weight that I use on the plate and in a dry suit I use the halcyon weight pockets. They are as streamlined as you are going to get, I have used Abysmal's and OMS's pockets, both were the wrong shape and bulky. GI preaches a weightbelt under the harness for weight on the waist, which works great as long as you have the flat style weights. I hope this helps, but if you have more questions I will be glad to try and help.

Shane

I agree with Matt. I'm willing to bet that you could take 5 pounds off your belt and you'll be fine. Then you could take even more off.

I'm not even 5'9, roughly 180 pounds, and so far I've been fine with 22 pounds.. and that's with a neo drysuit and fleece undies. And that's with a mucho padded back inflate BC.

With about 13 or 14 pounds between my new backplate and channel weight, minus the ballast necessary to offset the padding of the old BC... and once the new trilam drysuit comes in... no more 10 pound weights sitting on my kidneys, or 24 pound weight belts yanking my hips down.

Thank god for that. I'll probably be able to make do with a pair of 3 pound weights on a weight belt.

I can't wait to get in the water.

27 pounds of lead, and you're 155 pounds? Try your bp, STA, and two four pound weights on the belt. Ten bucks says it'll at least be enough, and I'll stick by that wager :wink:

What are the DIR's suggested method(s) of wearing weights for a single tank rig? Weight belt? Weigh belt + BP? ACB+BP?

Personally, the backplate is all the weight I require 95% of the time. When I do need additional weight, I just add a weight belt with a couple of pounds on it. I suppose if you needed a lot of weight, you could make a V-weight to fit in the channel of the BP. I don't like weightbelts so, I would try to come up with another solution rather than have a ton of weight on my waist. I'm not too fond of the ACB and don't own one.

Weight belt UNDER harness or over it? I can't see anything in the DIR:F book that addresses these issues.

When wet, they suggest over the crotch strap so that the belt can be easily removed in an emergency. Under the crotch strap when dry becasue if your weightbelt fell off, you would most likely get positive very quickly. This is one reason why a lot of people look to V-weights to avoid this all together. It's not a problem if the rig is balanced anyway.

DIR represents a 'clean' low drag config - so how would ACB integrated weighst fit IN with their stance? Wouldn't the ACB system violate the 'uncluttered' waist stance/drag issue?

GI3 beleives that the ACB system is not DIR. I would tend to agree with him because the ACB seems to create more clutter and does not really seem necessary. I think weighting issues could be solved more efficiently without the ACB by other means.

I wear my weight belt under my harness now (I dive dry). I'm pretty sure I had 27# total on - it might have been 23# - we were adding and moving weights around trying to get it right...but the one pocket on my side made me heavy (naturally) on the R side, since it had weights in it and there was nothing on the L to counter-balance it. I was hesitant to buy two of the pockets until I had a chance to see what one looked like on the waist to see if it was going to be too bulky or not - it was.

I tend to agree with what everyone else has been saying. I think that you are way too heavy. Figure out the proper amount of weight FIRST. After you get that dialed in put what additional weight you need on a belt.
Once your all set there, then try to get into the proper trim. Start with your knees bent at a 90 degree angle. If you tend to go head down straighten your legs out a little. If your heads up bring your feet a little closer to your ass.
If by moving your feet closer or further you still can't trim out properly then move some of the weight either from your STA to your belt or from your belt to your tank (trim weight on band etc.).

Hope that helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom