DIR on Drysuits in Warmer Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LAJim

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a SoCal DIR provisional. At home I dive a TLS-300 with 300 g polartech, and very nearly standard DIR rig otherwise. Steel HP 130 and building double HP100s.

I'm likely to hit Key Largo in late March and I sometimes get to other warm water locations too. I know the FL cave divers are dry, but what's the word on FL Keys diving and wet vs. dry - from a DIR perspective? Also, any other advice (links, other threads, etc.) on modifications to DIR style diving for warm water?

Thanks.

Jim

If you use steel doubles, you need to be diving dry. You can dive wet with aluminum doubles.

The "Why" has to do with diving a reasonably balanced rig. With steel doubles in a wetsuit, you'll sink like a rock.

Not wearing gloves is sweet!

You can also get away with smaller boltsnaps on alot of stuff, but its not necessary to change everything just for a holiday.

Keep it coming - The Spiegel Grove in March/April - wet or dry?

I enjoy diving dry. I'll probably do some dives in NC in the summer and will most likely take my drysuit. Just adjust the undergarments so that you aren't excessively hot during the dive.

amascuba:
I enjoy diving dry. I'll probably do some dives in NC in the summer and will most likely take my drysuit. Just adjust the undergarments so that you aren't excessively hot during the dive.
Some of us dive dry year 'round here in NC. Bring the drysuit.

The plan is for conservative profiles and minimal deco using back gas only. I'll dive doubles on some dives at least if I can achieve a balanced rig with the thermal I'm using and the rental tanks available.

Jim

LAJim:
I'm a SoCal DIR provisional. At home I dive a TLS-300 with 300 g polartech, and very nearly standard DIR rig otherwise. Steel HP 130 and building double HP100s.

I'm likely to hit Key Largo in late March and I sometimes get to other warm water locations too. I know the FL cave divers are dry, but what's the word on FL Keys diving and wet vs. dry - from a DIR perspective? Also, any other advice (links, other threads, etc.) on modifications to DIR style diving for warm water?

Thanks.

Jim

I dove the Keys and Miami last spring. I brought my drysuit and a 5mil wetsuit. Never touched the drysuit. Exposure were those of a Tech 1 type person. Besides the fact I would've looked like a dork if I wore my drysuit (rule 6), unless you're doing huge exposures or steel doubles, you dont' need a drysuit.

LAJim:
Keep it coming - The Spiegel Grove in March/April - wet or dry?
Temps in March are usually mid-70s. I have personally always dove wet that time of year, and I am a big weenie when it comes to cold. You can actually check the water temps on-line, as there is a NOAA Data Buoy on Molasses Reef near Key Largo. For example, the temperatures this morning were 74.7 F (air), 75.6 F (water), and there was a 12 kt wind blowing from the west.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom