DIR Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
G'day. Can anyone tell me whether DIR-style instruction begins at the beginning i.e. relatively competant human walks in off the street into, for instance, GUE wanting to learn how to dive? (Please pardon the naivitee of this - I have no way of knowing.)

If so, is there a confined water stage to the training as in other agencies, and is the equipment configuration the usual DIR stuff?

I'm not sure if the current DIR-F classes still require OW certification. But I know that they are currently moving towards a class that handles everything from step 1. It's better to ask GUE directly or your local DIR-F certified instructor.

d33ps1x:
Doole probably the best person to answer your question would be this guy.

Say, thanks! That's almost next door! Well, less than 1000 miles away anyway - which is almost next door in the context of the central prairie. :)

I had no idea. I might actually end up taking the crazy thing.

BTW you want zebra mussels? We got zebra mussels...

To my knowledge, GUE has not yet introduced its Open Water course. DIR-F, their introductory course, requires an OW cert from some other agency. Moreover, DIR-F presumes basic familiarity with diving.

The only confined water session in DIR-F are the swim tests. It is also possible to do those in open water (we almost did).

That said, DIR-F is still fairly basic.

What are the requirements for the swim tests? (I can swim pretty much all day but not quickly. Not exactly a spring chicken any more, you know.)

What is it that DIR-F qualifies you to do? Might it be approppriate for an instructor, such as myself, merely interested in what DIR has to offer?

doole:
What are the requirements for the swim tests? (I can swim pretty much all day but not quickly. Not exactly a spring chicken any more, you know.)

What is it that DIR-F qualifies you to do? Might it be approppriate for an instructor, such as myself, merely interested in what DIR has to offer?

It's 300 yards in 14 minutes and a 50 yard breathhold swim.

doole:

IMHO, absolutely. There was a PADI Master Instructor in my class who took it for precisely that reason. He has no interest in going down a technical patch. Rather, he wanted to learn about DIR.

You may also pick up some information that you will find useful when teaching. I'm an AI at a PADI LDS. We've incorporated several aspects of GUE's teaching methodology into our PADI program and have received extremely positive feedback from our students.

The material covered during DIR-F has general applicability to all types of diving. DIR-F is not a technical course and you won't come out of it able to execute any particular type of dive, i.e., you won't come out trained to penetrate wrecks or go caving. Instead, you'll be trained to apply GUE's methodology for dive planning and the skills they teach to whatever you've already been doing. You'll also learn why they advocate particular lifestyle and gear configurations and be able to make an informed decision about whether you wish to do the same.

doole:
What are the requirements for the swim tests?

Page 13 of this document from GUE's site will supply you the info you're looking for.

I also want to Echo what NEW said about an Instructor or DM taking the course. It is very logical, well laid out, & presented well. I took a lot of info away from the class that I've shared with my buddys and that I hope to implement into the classes I help with.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom