DIR/GUE gear updates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

someone more involved with GUE will have to comment on the official stance, but my understanding is that it is still considered a "mission specific" diving configuration, i.e. don't use it unless you can't do it practically on OC, as opposed to becoming a "rebreather diver". Brought it up because they use sidemount for cave diving where you can't get through in doubles, but not on all cave dives, so sidemount is a "mission-specific" configuration as opposed to a generally accepted configuration.

Seriously, why comment in the DIR forum posing as a self proclaimed expert when you're just grasping? I've done plenty of recreational, T1, T2, and cave dives with the JJ-CCR without "changing the configuration".

Seriously, why comment in the DIR forum posing as a self proclaimed expert when you're just grasping? I've done plenty of recreational, T1, T2, and cave dives with the JJ-CCR without "changing the configuration".

not in the DIR forum, I don't post in that forum for a reason, and that's why I said it was my understanding and that someone more familiar would be able to comment. That said, while you are obviously free to dive whatever configuration you want whenever you want on your own time, my understanding is still that it is a mission specific configuration, hence having you go through tech 2 on OC and then switching instead of allowing the tech 1/2 courses to be done on a CCR. That may change now that they are using an actual CCR instead of the RB80 which is basically a gas extender, but to my knowledge, it hasn't changed yet.

You have to be a Tech 2 diver with at least 25 tech 2 dives post certification, and the only rebreather used is a somewhat customized configuration of the JJ.

The RB80 is still being taught, and since the the JJ-CCR has been adopted the # of RB80 classes has actually increased.

not in the DIR forum, I don't post in that forum for a reason, and that's why I said it was my understanding and that someone more familiar would be able to comment. That said, while you are obviously free to dive whatever configuration you want whenever you want on your own time, my understanding is still that it is a mission specific configuration, hence having you go through tech 2 on OC and then switching instead of allowing the tech 1/2 courses to be done on a CCR. That may change now that they are using an actual CCR instead of the RB80 which is basically a gas extender, but to my knowledge, it hasn't changed yet.

How is it mission specific? The requirements may be OC, and for good reason when sh!the hit the fan. I know people who use the RB80 on 100' dives the majority of the time. Why spread rumors about something you know litte/nothing about?

Sure, you can preserve sidemount for only complex cave dives. How will the incident report read when the community debate the amount (hours/dives) of actual sidemount experience the victim had when they screw up?

"The victim encountered a _______ problem in very complex cave passage, responded inappropriately and failed to ___________. Despite over 3 decades of technical cave experience, the deceased only had XX dives experience using the sidemount equipment he died in..."

I dunno, AFAIK, GUE has been using sidemount for a while now, and they don't seem to have a higher death rate than other agencies...

someone more involved with GUE will have to comment on the official stance

"Someone more involved". So are you now saying that you have some involvement with GUE? Do you have any certifications from GUE?
Just wondering because you always seem to be a spokesperson for GUE, except with incorrect information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom