DIR Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The $64,000,000 question is:

Will non-DIR staff/moderators continue to be allowed to edit threads in the main DIR forum or not?

Its a longstanding problem. Its driven many of us away or put the whole forum on internal "ignore". The greatest DIR mods in the world can't be expected to make the forum a success if other staff conspire to bring it down.

Mark,

Kevin was right about this being an insular community.

If you only knew the realities of what you worship ... you may be more inclined to think for yourself and welcome information.

[...etc...etc...]

Some of you people trained in DIR, and living in DIR information land, question your abilities to speak about DIR. Stop believing in "isms" and start believing in yourselves.

Trace, DIR has fuzzy borders around it, but in order to have a DIR forum we have to have some kind of guidelines to make it meaningful at all.

Given that I know of one GUE instructor who speaks highly of Leon's approach to CCR (and at least I'm going to have to learn how to translate the blinky lights to ppO2 and learn dil-flush and rescue procedures if i keep diving with meg divers) and I just got in my inbox a "sidemount workshop" course from a DIR/GUE shop there's clearly some very fuzzy areas out there.

At the same time, if we allow everything into the DIR forum because DIR divers should be exposed to all information and make their own choices, then it becomes irrelevant. At that point, I'm completely wasting my time and we should just remove the DIR forum altogether. So, the question is given the presence of a DIR forum, what should it be? And the answer there I think needs to be geared somewhat towards newer divers, the pre-fundified divers going into Bob's GUE-F courses and towards useful distinctions between DIR/GUE and other approaches.

You seem to be approaching this from a Zen perspective where all is one and one is none and you can't draw distinctions between anything. I'm coming from this from a bit more Taoist perspective where there is DIR and not-DIR, the DIR does have the root of the not-DIR in it and vice versa, but while it is all one you still have to draw the distinctions.

So in the DIR forum we draw a distinction between DIR and not-DIR, and random discussions about what particular SB posters do and do not do in their own personal diving with no relationship to DIR diving is not-DIR. In the broader sense of things, nobody should be that rigid in their own thought processes, but here it just annoys the crap out of people to see the same posters posting the same anti-DIR or not-DIR comments that we've read dozens of times before already. There's nothing productive about that. Nobody is learning anything. It just drives people away.

Wow more posts (103 and counting) and more views (>2700) than any other thread in this entire subforum. I guess folks love the DIR train wrecks moreso than any actual content.

Wow more posts (103 and counting) and more views (>2700) than any other thread in this entire subforum. I guess folks love the DIR train wrecks moreso than any actual content.

That's the biggest problem with moderation.

If I moderate all the trainwrecks, then there's just no posts...

I have to admit, I view this kind of thing a lot like merchandising views notoriety -- all fame is advertising. Any thread that keeps coming up in the "New Posts" and building page counts will eventually get people to look at it, just to see what the buzz is, and those people go away wondering, "What the dickens is "DIR"?" And some of them find out, and join us . . . :D

I'm all for a good trainwreck, but I'm genuinely interested in how the DIR Forum/DPZ interaction evolves. It feels so strange to me that DIR is so contentious that it requires different rules from every other discussion subforum on SB. Frankly, the unintuitiveness is a trap for the unwary - if you want a "Yahoo Answers" Q&A session, post here. If you want a discussion/debate to include non-DIR answers, don't post in the DIR forum.

I'm all for increasing the SNR here, but sometimes the "That's not a DIR answer!!" trope is as unhelpful as the people who slam newbie questions with "Do a search!" Yes, the question may have been answered dozens of times already, but it just comes off as surly and uninviting.

I'm all for a good trainwreck, but I'm genuinely interested in how the DIR Forum/DPZ interaction evolves. It feels so strange to me that DIR is so contentious that it requires different rules from every other discussion subforum on SB. Frankly, the unintuitiveness is a trap for the unwary - if you want a "Yahoo Answers" Q&A session, post here. If you want a discussion/debate to include non-DIR answers, don't post in the DIR forum.

I'm all for increasing the SNR here, but sometimes the "That's not a DIR answer!!" trope is as unhelpful as the people who slam newbie questions with "Do a search!" Yes, the question may have been answered dozens of times already, but it just comes off as surly and uninviting.

Yeah for some reason people care if there are non-DIR answers in the main forum. I can understand wanting to have a nuanced discussion about what gases might best handle diving in the 100-130 range (as a "standard") or stage planning, or using 35/25, how cookie use has changed over the years or whatever. But I can do that here just fine.

If Rumbo wants to ramble on about contingency gas and ascending direct to 70ft @ 60ft/min or whatever in the open forum just provide the stock "that's not how we do it" answer and move on.

If Rumbo wants to ramble on about contingency gas and ascending direct to 70ft @ 60ft/min or whatever in the open forum just provide the stock "that's not how we do it" answer and move on.

Precisely. In fact, if people propose things which are contrary to the DIR approach, contradicting them AND providing a "why" can be quite convincing to other readers. It's the idea that our system has a "why" which is one of its selling points to a lot of people.

Yes, it's fatiguing to explain stuff over and over again . . . but then again, nobody HAS to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom