DIR for Travel and Deco bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for that info.

Something I am just now understanding from reading this thread and the Yorkshire Divers thread from above is that the deco's second stage hose is also meant to be worn looped behind the neck too, in use. Do I have that right?

If so, that certainly would be a reason why DIR goes all left. Is that "behind the neck" hose routing for the ease of sharing the deco reg, or for the security of the second stage in the mouth, or some combination of the two?

Something else those videos are making me want is a scooter.

Its mostly "all left" to avoid the christmas tree look with lots of drag. And avoid trapping the long hose. And to provide a mostly free arm to drive a scooter with. And provide clean routing of a canister light cord. Lots of "ands"

It does require aluminum deco/bottom stage bottles which are the only things any sane person would use in freshwater caves anyway - except for maybe a steel O2 bottle dropped at the entrance,

the deco's second stage hose is also meant to be worn looped behind the neck too, in use. Do I have that right?

If so, that certainly would be a reason why DIR goes all left. Is that "behind the neck" hose routing for the ease of sharing the deco reg, or for the security of the second stage in the mouth, or some combination of the two?

Yes, you will loop the hose behind your neck much like you do with your long hose. The idea is that if an OOA diver comes up to you, you will always donate the same way whether you are on backgas or deco gas. The reg comes out of your mouth, and over your head the same way with both hose routings. The only time this wouldn't work is if you were breathing off your bungeed backup, but you probably don't have any air to share in this case anyway.

It also makes sense to route it this way to help streamline the hose. If you want to be able to donate the deco reg, a ~40" hose makes it a lot easier. The cleanest way I've seen to route this is around your neck.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom