DIR for Travel and Deco bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

??

We seem to be are hanging up on the word 'travel'. It's the 110 foot through 40 foot deco gas, or the travel gas. It's the same thing.

Is it the DIR standard really to breathe a hypoxic mix at the surface?

Take a class. No really, take a class.

Learning to dive on the internet is a bitch.

We seem to be are hanging up on the word 'travel'. It's the 110 foot through 40 foot deco gas, or the travel gas. It's the same thing.

You're the only one using the words "travel gas".

What do you have in this 110 to 40ft bottle anyway? 32%?

Do you use long hose on the Deco regs so you can buddy breathe? Or is it so you can carry the bottles lower?

As Jeff said, I think it is best for you to take a class or meet up with someone who dives DIR and go through this in person. Trying to understand this over the internet with individual questions and individual answers is pretty much impossible. As I stated earlier, DIR is a complete program and picking individual bits and trying to understand the whole thing is not going to work. We could answer individual questions for the next year whereas an hour spent with a serious DIR diver could answer everything and put it in perspective. Find your closest GUE instructor and spend an hour with him/her. Take a list of questions if you want and you will get logical and concise answers to every question.

I am looking for equipment rigging ideas from DIR, not for training. That's why I am wondering about the gear setup. I am not going to take a DIR class, so I won't be able to learn about it that way.

I am just asking about the gear setup, since I am replacing all my gear. What I had before was largely based on what I had. What I get from scratch can be based on pre-planning. So I am interested in hearing the DIR way, gear wise.

For video of divers putting all deco and stage gasses on the same side you can try Mossman :: Deep Technical Diving and look for videos from the Halifax expeditions. There should be some video of Steve Shultz carrying 2 deco cylinders and a stage cylinder on the deeper dives we did eg: Kaaparen and Athelviking.

Cool videos. Thanks for the link. It definitely helps clear up some things in my head. (The videos are slow to load, but that's maybe because a bunch of people went there at the same time).

In the video labeled Russian which just happened to be the first one I grabbed, everyone is set up with bottles on both sides (the video seems to be labeled 2003). Is the DIR movement , and the "both deco on one side" idea newer than that video? Or is it just some do it one way and some do it another way?

There's an active thread(9 pages currently) over here on Yorkshire Divers discussing the issue, with various side-tracks into decompression arcana, if you want to plow through it. It has both DIR/GUE and opposing viewpoints.

There's an active thread(9 pages currently) over here on Yorkshire Divers discussing the issue, with various side-tracks into decompression arcana, if you want to plow through it. It has both DIR/GUE and opposing viewpoints.

Cool link. (It's up to 35 pages now!)

Cool link. (It's up to 35 pages now!)

I have my preferences set to the maximum number of posts per page, whatever that is. It has turned into an interesting thread, complete with stories about GI3.

Cool videos. Thanks for the link. It definitely helps clear up some things in my head. (The videos are slow to load, but that's maybe because a bunch of people went there at the same time).

In the video labeled Russian which just happened to be the first one I grabbed, everyone is set up with bottles on both sides (the video seems to be labeled 2003). Is the DIR movement , and the "both deco on one side" idea newer than that video? Or is it just some do it one way and some do it another way?

Yeah, that's why I didn't mention the Russian in my post. :wink:

I know the shots you are talking about and not everyone on that dive was set up like that. Those were some local guys we were sharing the boat with and they just happened to be the ones that Greg showcased in that particular video. The rest of us were not configured that way. The Russian, being a shallow dive of 140' or so, I don't remember anyone carrying a stage and 2 deco tanks. We were pretty much backgas and a 50% deco on most dives although some dives we added the 100% O2 as well.

We love the guys out in Halifax because they are great people, so we put them in our videos but they are not DIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom