DIR for Travel and Deco bottles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this in the reg section, and then thought that maybe DIR would have some thoughts on this:

I have to replace all my gear so I am thinking about things from scratch.

I used to have DIN S/P Mk2/r190's because I had them and had parts for them, etc. The same sort of style seems like a good idea because:
1. cheap
2. easy to rebuild/ 02 clean
3. you could actually swap the travel and the deco reg if you really needed to underwater: because it is all unbalanced, the water would just blow through the system.

But I was working at an S/P shop and was friends with the S/P rep then, so it was cheap and easy to get parts.

Are there reasons people like to use a balanced, or diaphragm first stage, and a balanced second stage that I am not thinking about?

Is the OMS cheap reg the way to go because out of the box it is ready to go (o2 clean, din, green cover)? Are OMS parts hard to come by? Does it use the same seats as the Mk2 and the Oceanic cheap piston regs? Is it just the rebuild kit just the two piston O-rings and the seat like the Mk2? Is the OMS second stage obnoxiously large like the r190?

Does anyone use short LP hoses (12"-16") and right angle swivels for theirs? Are there reasons why this does not work for you, if you have tried it?

Clarification: I am starting from scratch. I had a ton of stuff before but it is all gone.

So if DIR people can give me ideas on what and why for their deco bottle and travel bottles rigs, I would be appreciative.

Since you posted this in the DIR forum let me start the ball rolling with some DIR answers. I can't help you with some of the Regulator questions because I don't have Scubapro equipment so I am sure someone else will chime in with that information. I do know several divers that use that combination for deco regs though. I am not familiar with the specifics of OMS regs but the green cover wouldn't necessarily be a selling point for me :)

As far as the short deco hoses with right angle swivels, no, they are not DIR for a couple of reasons. First, the swivel introduces an additional failure point while bringing nothing to the table from the plus side of the equation (holy mixed metaphors Batman..). The standard deco hose length is 40'. This enables you to route your deco hose from your left side where your stage/deco bottles are stored, around the back of your neck, like your long hose is routed, and placed in your mouth. The 40' hose is the optimal length for this routing and since you always donate what you are breathing, your gas donation procedure never changes. A hose in the length you mention could not be routed in that fashion and would have to come from the left side: a notion that is assuredly not DIR. Take a look at the "equipment" page in the www.gue.com website. Remember that all your equipment is integrated into a "package" as it were that is intended to be used with a specific set of protocols and skills. Taking anything out of that context will most likely reduce its efficacy.

Thanks for the info.

So DIR always carries the Deco on the left? What happens you have a travel mix and a deco mix? Travel on the right, Deco on the left?

In a separate question: if you give up your deco reg, what is the donor to do? Buddy breathe on that reg?

Deco and stage bottles always on the left, either on the D-rings or a leash. Right side is for long hose and scooter if you're using one.

The donor still has his secondary right below his chin, and can go to backgas until things get sorted out.

Deco and stage bottles always on the left, either on the D-rings or a leash. Right side is for long hose and scooter if you're using one.

You carry the deco and the travel mix both on the left?

You carry the deco and the travel mix both on the left?

Yes. No more than two bottles attached directly to body and any other bottles attached to left hip d-ring via a leash which may hold up to three bottles. At that point you will need a second leash....and so on. That would be a huge dive..............

Yes. No more than two bottles attached directly to body and any other bottles attached to left hip d-ring via a leash which may hold up to three bottles. At that point you will need a second leash....and so on. That would be a huge dive..............

That's wild! Do you know if there are videos showing people dealing with a travel and a stage on the left (or more on a leash)?

(I am trying to picture this in my head, and I am just getting nowhere.)

What is the DIR standard for differentiating between the Travel mix (aka Deep Deco) and the Deco (80%-100% o2) mix?

I am thinking of trimix dives:
with the Travel Mix on the one hip to left chest, and the "100%" O2 on the other. The travel mix is uncovered because it is OK to breathe at most depths (and you have to start the dive on it anyway), but the "100% o2" you can only go to at the thirty foot and up stops so it can be covered.

What is the DIR way to differentiate between the regs in a no mask situation? Are you counting on a buddy to help you out? Do you keep the 100% O2 reg covered somehow?

Wow! Okay, you are asking quite a few questions and they all have logical answers. Remember that DIR is an integrated system where answers to one question are often difficult to be taken out of context and answered separately without reference to the entire system (I am trying my damndest not not to use the word "holistic" but it does apply). Here are some answers for you:

1) Yes there are lots of videos around. Google DIR or look on youtube or look at the 5th D-X training videos. They should provide this information for you.

2) Part of the procedure for a gas switch is the double-checking of the bottle you are switching to by your team mate (s). Thus, you do not do "blind" gas switches. Thus a "maskless" gas switc h is a non event. Your bottles are also marked with you MOD which tells both you and your team mates at what depth that gas is safe to breath. Obviously, you and your team mates would not let you switch to you 70' (21m) bottle at 120'.......

You have to understand that DIR places a huge degree of importance on situational awareness. You pay attention to your team mates as well as pay attention to yourself.

I am familiar with the "right rich", "Left Lean" methodology and personally, I reject it for a variety of reasons but suffice to say that you will be expected to do gas switches from inside and outside bottles on the left side. It is a matter of training and skill and neither gas switch is very difficult. Remember this "do not look for an equipment solution to a skills problem".

Finally, yes you are counting on a buddy to help you out. That in essence is one of the fundamental cornerstones of DIR diving: the strength of the team is far stronger than the sum of the individual parts. It is all about the team. This may run counter to what you have experienced from other technical training agencies and it what truly sets the DIR diver apart from other technical divers. Think "synergy" instead of simple addition.

best,

That's wild! Do you know if there are videos showing people dealing with a travel and a stage on the left (or more on a leash)?

(I am trying to picture this in my head, and I am just getting nowhere.)

What is the DIR standard for differentiating between the Travel mix (aka Deep Deco) and the Deco (80%-100% o2) mix?

There is no such thing as "travel mix". There are the deco gasses and if needed stage cylinders of bottom gas. Travel mix is something made up by people who don't know better.

For video of divers putting all deco and stage gasses on the same side you can try www.mossmanscuba.com and look for videos from the Halifax expeditions. There should be some video of Steve Shultz carrying 2 deco cylinders and a stage cylinder on the deeper dives we did eg: Kaaparen and Athelviking.

What is the DIR way to differentiate between the regs in a no mask situation? Are you counting on a buddy to help you out? Do you keep the 100% O2 reg covered somehow?

DIR divers carry a spare mask.

The scubapro mk2/r190 is a fine deco reg. I have one, works well and the hose routing (40") is fine. The SPG sits "sideways" to my body and that its only 'fault' although I don't ever have a problem reading the spg anyway.

But... Before even thinking about deco bottles, get your basic kit squared away. "Dress for Success" is a good resource. Dress for Success | Global Underwater Explorers

Basic kit = doubles, plates, wings, exposure suits, pockets, regs, fins etc etc.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom