DIR-F Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Try pointing your toes down a bit more ... most folks don't realize that they're pointing their fins up slightly, and that makes you do the "shrimp dance" ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, Johnny, would stiffer fins make it easier? I'm using Avanti Quattros right now. I'm not sure if my technique is correct but I pull my legs forward, fins at about a 45 angle down to get the backwards thrust. Then in returning them I point them staight back as much as possible but it they bend down I go up a little. It seems to me that stiffer fins will be easier to point straight back because they won't bend causing an up or down reactionary movement. Do you guys ever have races backwards? :D

Hi Bill,

If I'll be able to rent or borrow the things I need for the September class then I'm in.
The link didn't work, however, I think Bob'O may have supplied me with contact info. I'll check my PMs for it.

Thank you,

Randy

WJL:
Randy,

You're right that Bob is a great guy, as well as being a great diver. Bob is part of the MidwestDIR group. The group has been a little quiet on-line lately, but we get out for dives together pretty regularly. If you are interested in diving with DIR-trained people, drop us a line and we'll get together with you. FYI, there is a DIR-Fundamentals class scheduled for September at Gilboa Quarry, taught by the Scubaguys. If you're interested in learning the skills, they will be happy to teach you. Don't worry too much about the gear. It's actually not as important as you might think, and we should be able to scare up some stuff for you to borrow anyways.

Hank49:
Bob, Johnny, would stiffer fins make it easier? I'm using Avanti Quattros right now. I'm not sure if my technique is correct but I pull my legs forward, fins at about a 45 angle down to get the backwards thrust. Then in returning them I point them staight back as much as possible but it they bend down I go up a little. It seems to me that stiffer fins will be easier to point straight back because they won't bend causing an up or down reactionary movement. Do you guys ever have races backwards? :D

I'm not familiar with the Quattros, so I can't say for sure.

What I do know is that it's common to not have your toes pointed as "down" as you think they are. Also, go slower on the "load" portion of the kick (when returning them for another kick) ... that should reduce the bending problem. Stiffer fins would most likely improve the efficiency of the kick ... but I suspect the fins are not the issue in this case.

Races??? I'm an old, fat dude ... I don't race anywhere except, at times, to the dinner table ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug:
See if Bob will dive with you some more... you might end up learning some things just by association. When you can, take a DIRf.
And yes, Randy's praise is all true and perhaps downplayed a bit. :14: WB is modest AND an excellent dir ambassador. I never would have thought myself ready to take it had he not suggested it. The attitude of many vocal proponents can be a might bit intimidating which made meeting and diving with WB all the more of a pleasant surprise!!

Little Miss Pue has apprenticed herself to wb416 as well.

(I can hear all the 'poor Bob's' being muttered across SB now........)

Randy43068:
I'm not sure what he had for dive notes. It looked like an underwater notebook.

They were wetnotes. www.covci.com in columbus carries them. They come in a yellow cover though. The cover I have was made by Ken Hyatt as a limited run and is pretty awesome. A similar cover (inferior of course :D) is the X-notes. I don't have their link handy though.

The ScubaGuys link that Bill gave you is correct, but the ISP is down (and has been most of the weekend) so none of the hosted websites (including all of mine or Gilboa Quarry) are available at the moment.

wb416:
sheesh... until I saw this post, I was wondering why my PM inbox started filling up with warnings about you. :peepwalla
Sorry WB, but someone has to bear the burden of my newbieness.

Look at it this way, you've already survived the first meeting AND dive. :icon10:
Now how many can say that? :littlesho

pennypue:
Sorry WB, but someone has to bear the burden of my newbieness.

Look at it this way, you've already survived the first meeting AND dive. :icon10:
Now how many can say that? :littlesho

Survived....Yes... Recovered....NO:wink:

How many can say that... hard to tell... I hear they had trouble getting feedback from the dead ones though, which come to think of it was pretty much most of them! :11:

wb416:
They were wetnotes. www.covci.com in columbus carries them. They come in a yellow cover though. The cover I have was made by Ken Hyatt as a limited run and is pretty awesome. A similar cover (inferior of course :D) is the X-notes. I don't have their link handy though.

The ScubaGuys link that Bill gave you is correct, but the ISP is down (and has been most of the weekend) so none of the hosted websites (including all of mine or Gilboa Quarry) are available at the moment.
going over to the dark side! :)

Last night I called Brando. He gave me lots of good info. I'll be able to take the training with the equipment I have, but with slight Modifications. I'll need a long hose and necklace.
I'm really excited about this!
I filled out the application on the GUE website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom