DIR-F Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
For one of our local dives it comes in real handy when looking at a well-known octopus den tucked underneath the bow of a sunken boat. Once you're done looking you can back out from underneath the bow and continue your dive.

Another time it came in really handy ... although for my dive buddy more than for me ... she was videotaping some footage for a TV show on aquafarming, and we were swimming in mussel beds. If you've never done that, they hang on wires in a grid. The wires are spaced about three feet apart. She swam into the grid a bit to get some footage, then backed out.

On some of the warm water dives I've been on ... the only time I ever attempt to take photographs ... I've used the back kick to position myself to "frame" the picture. I use a Nikonos, which is a fixed lens. So I just swim in close, then slowly back up till I get it framed the way I want it. If you look at my avatar, that's exactly what I'm doing in that photo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I see what you mean Bob. I do little stops and adjustments without thinking about it. I was thinking more along the lines of swimming backwards for like a minute. I try it and then it hits me, "why would I NEED to do this"? I do need some practice or maybe different fins. I tend to rise a little after about 10 kicks.

Hank49:
I see what you mean Bob. I do little stops and adjustments without thinking about it. I was thinking more along the lines of swimming backwards for like a minute.
Well you do that to get better at the little kicks :wink:

Hank49:
I do need some practice or maybe different fins. I tend to rise a little after about 10 kicks.

Try pointing your toes down a bit more ... most folks don't realize that they're pointing their fins up slightly, and that makes you do the "shrimp dance" ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sunday (yesterday) I dove with a DIR diver. I'm amazed actually. His diving skills are superb! I saw the value of quite a few of the DIR reasons for doing things. Also, I watched him sit perfectly still in the water while writing some things on a dive slate. (underwater paper?) After I saw his skills I found myself thinking "I want that!"

His skills integrate perfectly with his equipment. Skill and equipment are an integrated system as it appears, and cannot successfully work independently. (hope that makes sense) I'm very favorably impressed with this DIR system of doing things.

This particular DIR diver ( Bob, you know who you are! ) was not arrogant, wasn't a know it all, rather was very welcoming of my questions, and eager to explain everything.

At the moment I cannot afford the equipment I need, however, I now have a few goals in mind for new equipment. I think this DIR system is for me.

I've got the dedication but it's going to take me a while to get the 'proper' equipment and training.

Randy43068:
Sunday (yesterday) I dove with a DIR diver. I'm amazed actually. His diving skills are superb! I saw the value of quite a few of the DIR reasons for doing things. Also, I watched him sit perfectly still in the water while writing some things on a dive slate. (underwater paper?) After I saw his skills I found myself thinking "I want that!"

His skills integrate perfectly with his equipment. Skill and equipment are an integrated system as it appears, and cannot successfully work independently. (hope that makes sense) I'm very favorably impressed with this DIR system of doing things.

This particular DIR diver ( Bob, you know who you are! ) was not arrogant, wasn't a know it all, rather was very welcoming of my questions, and eager to explain everything.

At the moment I cannot afford the equipment I need, however, I now have a few goals in mind for new equipment. I think this DIR system is for me.

I've got the dedication but it's going to take me a while to get the 'proper' equipment and training.

{blush}

It was great meeting you Randy. Look forward to getting together again.

bob

Randy43068:
Also, I watched him sit perfectly still in the water while writing some things on a dive slate. (underwater paper?) After I saw his skills I found myself thinking "I want that!"

At the moment I cannot afford the equipment I need
Waterproof paper is a bit more expensive than regular paper but not that expensive. You can get everything you need to write underwater for less than $15 from Shipstore.com.

Which is another way of saying, you don't need the equipment to start working on the skills. In fact, the most important skills (IMO) have nothing to do with equipment.

See if Bob will dive with you some more... you might end up learning some things just by association. When you can, take a DIRf.

Uncle Pug:
Which is another way of saying, you don't need the equipment to start working on the skills. In fact, the most important skills (IMO) have nothing to do with equipment.

See if Bob will dive with you some more... you might end up learning some things just by association. When you can, take a DIRf.
I'll email the one of the GUE guys and ask him about it. I believe they prefer for the students to have at least a minimal amount of "proper" gear. ??

Yes and no. I didn't mean to imply that I shouldn't be learning skills at the moment or that one needs special equipment to do so. Not at all. I must not have been very clear in with my comments.

What's implied in my comment is that I don't want to take the DIR-F until I can get the proper equipment because, as I understand it, the skills taught in the class are integrated with the proper equipment. In fact, I don't think I could attain the proficiency Bob demonstrated without upgrading some of my equipment. (and many hours of practice!)

I would like to learn the frog kick he uses before I get any equipment. I tried it by watching him but got a horrible cramp in my left calf so didn’t try more. It's not as easy as it looks!!

Bob swims like a fish! Hardly moving his body but moving very well and efficiently in the water. I'm still amazed at how he backs out of a tight space almost without moving! That's a really good skill you DIR guys learn. Perhaps one doesn't have to be "DIR" to do that, but it's demonstrated well by DIR trained people.

I'd love it if I could dive more with Bob. He's good people!! Sheesh, I hope he doesn't read this, he'll think I'm sucking up. But I was really, really favorably impressed with him as a person and his diving skill.

You have no idea how much I learned this weekend. I, for the first time, started watching other divers under water. Many, many swim like I do. Using lots of effort and always adding air, and dumping air. Man, I've got a lot to learn!! I’m excited because I can see (now) that there is an easier way to dive once the skills are learned. UP, can you tell I'm pretty excited about this? I am.. :) It's like an eye opener to the next level of diving. I don’t know if they’re other diving systems out there, but this one sure impresses me.

I'm not sure what he had for dive notes. It looked like an underwater notebook.

Randy43068:
I'm not sure what he had for dive notes. It looked like an underwater notebook.

They're called "wet notes" ... and you can buy them at most any boating supply store(Boats US, West Marine, etc.) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Randy43068:
I'd love it if I could dive more with Bob. He's good people!! Sheesh, I hope he doesn't read this, he'll think I'm sucking up. But I was really, really favorably impressed with him as a person and his diving skill.

You have no idea how much I learned this weekend. I, for the first time, started watching other divers under water. Many, many swim like I do. Using lots of effort and always adding air, and dumping air. Man, I've got a lot to learn!! I’m excited because I can see (now) that there is an easier way to dive once the skills are learned. UP, can you tell I'm pretty excited about this? I am.. :) It's like an eye opener to the next level of diving. I don’t know if they’re other diving systems out there, but this one sure impresses me.

Randy,

You're right that Bob is a great guy, as well as being a great diver. Bob is part of the MidwestDIR group. The group has been a little quiet on-line lately, but we get out for dives together pretty regularly. If you are interested in diving with DIR-trained people, drop us a line and we'll get together with you. FYI, there is a DIR-Fundamentals class scheduled for September at Gilboa Quarry, taught by the Scubaguys. If you're interested in learning the skills, they will be happy to teach you. Don't worry too much about the gear. It's actually not as important as you might think, and we should be able to scare up some stuff for you to borrow anyways.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom