DIR equipment question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRUETEXAN

Contributor
Reaction score
I am starting to study the DIR way of diving a little more closely and I have a couple of questions that I have not been able to find answers for on the DIR related websites.

1. What is the DIR way of thinking concerning mask strap placement, by that I mean are you supposed to place your mask strap over your hood, or do they put them under the hood as do many wreck divers I know so that your mask can't be knocked off and go to the bottom.
2. I was wondering what DIR teaches you to use for measuring depth? computer, simple depth gauge or what? And where do you mount it?
3. I would also like to know what DIR says about wearing or not wearing helmets, and why you should or shouldn't wear one.

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on DIR equipment and configuration, and these topics have probably been covered, but I would like to hear it from you guys and gals on the board that are actually DIR trained.

Thanks

Originally posted by TRUETEXAN
1. What is the DIR way of thinking concerning mask strap placement, by that I mean are you supposed to place your mask strap over your hood, or do they put them under the hood as do many wreck divers I know so that your mask can't be knocked off and go to the bottom.
I will take #1 and leave #2 & #3 for someone else.

Mask strap over the hood... yes it is possible to lose it (in a DIR class you will lose it... several times).... you carry your spare mask in the left thigh pocket.... in the DIR class you will lose your spare mask too but then your buddy has two (ooops he just lost his... out comes his spare.)

In a DIR class you will practice making shared air ascents to the gas switch and doing deco stops while having only one mask between the two of you.

Mask strap over the hood... no worries.

I'm not arguing with the DIR way, but why not just put the strap under the hood and make it all much less complicated???????????

2. The primary is a bottom timer like the Uwatec/OMS or Vyper in gauge mode. Strict DIR says to put it on the right wrist -- no wrist slate. It can have bungies instead of the straps too.

3. No helmet. I guess they figure if your buoyancy is bad enough to warrant a helmet, then you deserve to get whacked :D. Drag is another reason.

Take care.

Mike

Hey UP,

In GUE Cave I we did it under the hood.

Perhaps one or the other of us took our class 18 minutes after the other and all the rules changed, as they've been known to do... :)

Roak

IMNSHO the #1 reason for mask strap OVER the hood:

If you-have-to-switch-masks AND &
your-mask-strap-is-under-hood AND &
the-water-is-COLD then
you will need to peel back the hood and expose your cranium
to a flood of brutally cold water
you will likely have an instant ice-cream-headache
end if

How many of you guys have ever had to switch masks u/w? How many have switched often enough to make putting it over your hood necessary for "efficiency"?

Cheers

Originally posted by roakey
Hey UP,

In GUE Cave I we did it under the hood.

Perhaps one or the other of us took our class 18 minutes after the other and all the rules changed, as they've been known to do... :)

Roak
Shoot.... why didn't I pick a less controversial one... like #2 :wink:

Roaky... can't say what's taught in a cave class cause I haven't had one... and since the original post was about wreck diving I didn't stop to think that I might need to differentiate between GUE Tech and GUE Cave....

Any way... help me out here with a answer or two...
Do you carry a spare mask?
Why?

1) affirmative

2) cuz I don't see very well U/W without one

Greenie... thanks for the answer... I was gonna wait for Roaky to get back for I spring the tra... hmmm ... before I continue with that line of questioning.

Sherp: did you dive with your strap under the hood in Alaska? Reason?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom