DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almost all questions have been asked before, but sometimes you can't find the threads because the search engine is so primitive. Do a basic search, and run back through the forum where that topic would be found a ways, and if you can't find what you want, ask it again. Just ignore the people who immediately say, "Do a search!" Some of them have a button that says that on their keyboard.

The Kraken:
Mudchick,

From my point of view, the DIR "controversy" was created simply by what some would consider to be a poor choice of a descriptive adjective!

When the term was coined, it was applied to a very minute and specialized section of the diving community.

It's just that in today's world, everything is about "ME". Therefore, some recreational diver somewhere read about some cave divers "Doing It Right" and assumed, incorrectly of course, that those elitist snobs (not my assessment of DIR divers) were inferring that he was "Doing It Wrong", and thus the gauntlet was thrown down, and the diving world has never been the same, philosophically speaking.

A work of Shakespeare fits well into this "controversy" . . . "Much Ado About Nothing".

the K

Just in case it was too far back, Miss Mudchick, I thought I'd re-post it.

the K

More thread debate starters... In case you need suggestions..

DIR - Do It Right (as being debated??)
PADI - The way the world learns to dive (so others are from??)
SSI - Serious diving, Serious fun (everyone else must be joking?)
Naui - Promoting dive safety through education (so others must not promote safety??)
TDI - Leading the dive industry into the 21st century (No one else can keep up??)

There just names folks..

It's not the agency.. it's the Instructor ...

Tweedel-dee/Tweedel-dumber, they're all the same, so it must be the instructor not the agency!

they're all the same, so it must be the instructor not the agency!

This is true to an extent. A good instructor is worth alot. On the other hand, the agencies are not all the same. They are different. I have seen more than a few incompetent openwater instructors from various agencies. I have never seen an incompetent instructor from GUE. This could be because there are only 41 of them and they go through pretty rigorous quality control. I know of three interns who will keep with good practices once they become instructors, bumping that number up to 44.

How many GUE instructors have you actually SEEN Vayu?

hehehe I love this thread, it's way better then the "does a sniper exist in paintball?" one we get all the time on another forum Im on. Any of you guys who play know exactly what Im talking about.... :D

That's irony boardering on sarcasm. I guess no one on this board has much of a sense of humor left, but some of the recent goings on are typical of day to day operations, I can see why.

split0101:
hehehe I love this thread, it's way better then the "does a sniper exist in paintball?" one we get all the time on another forum Im on. Any of you guys who play know exactly what Im talking about.... :D
D00d I got me a 22" sniper rifle barrel for my l33t tricked out Spyder Imagine!!

jonnythan:
D00d I got me a 22" sniper rifle barrel for my l33t tricked out Spyder Imagine!!
Slightly better than having a GI Joe and dressing him up in Barbies clothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom