DIR Class: The Truth Comes Out (Again)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBulla:
I am, however, enjoying watching things ya'll do and completely understand and respect the levels you've taken your diving skills to. And yes, I'm even picking up a few little things that I'm adapting into my own diving. Congrats on your accomplishments SJ :D

Thanks, man. :D

Hey, you aren't the first person to mention a "level." I've even had a few PM's about "diving at 'my' level." I even had one person say that they'd love to dive with me (my invite), but they were "afraid they didn't dive at my level."

Guys, maybe this has come across the wrong way... The accomplishment is gratifying, and I'm proud of my team (RavenC and I) for having made it... But it's not any special "level." Nearly all of our diving is still at "recreational dive depths" - in fact, looking at my logs, I think I'm averaging something like 22 feet of depth (shallow, high-current, blackwater diving is a staple here), and we're just getting into mixed gas diving... Most of what we dive is a variety of different percentages of "nitrox" - basically, from 21% (air) on up.

I don't want anyone thinking that we're somehow on a different "level" than they are... We all still dive the same waters as everyone else. Seeing individuals on different "levels" gives people excuses to *******ize their gear configurations and skills. They think, "HE might need to dive a _____ (fill in the blank with a bp/wing, drysuit, unusual breathing gas, or anything else), but *I* certainly don't need that sort of stuff... I'M ON A DIFFERENT LEVEL." They insult themselves by telling themselves things like that. It's just not fair to them - and it's not reality.

I'm often questioned about RavenC's and my gear choices... Frankly, to a non-DIR diver, that's what's most apparent to them at the dive site. We dive quite a bit with a variety of different people, our SAR team notwithstanding. There is a thought process prevalent in these groups of divers, trained by a variety of instructors with a variety of backgrounds and agencies, that gear, skills, knowledge, and other "tools" in a diver's toolbox need to change with the "kind of diving" they're doing. This is a fallacy.

Case in point: More than a few divers that we're consistently around dive the local high-current blackwater with 50 or 60 pounds of weight on, often with a tether or cord connecting a diver and his buddy. Sometimes they simply give up on good buddy skills because of the visibility (and in all fairness, shallow water) and do a "same ocean" dive - the kind of dive where there's two or more divers in the water, but they have no contact and are not really buddied. The thought process regarding the massive weight they carry is that it "sticks" them to the bottom, where they want to be in order to dig for fossils. They tell me all the time that without the weight, they'd be swept away with the current.

Well, RavenC and I dive side-by-side with these people, always in full contact with each other, never swept downstream, and without overweighting ourselves and without a tether. And yes, we dig too.

Predictably, many of these people exit the water completely exhausted, handing their gear up piece-by-piece in hopes that someone on the boat is able to help them.

Usually, it's us who's helping them - we exited the water as a team and on time, climbing aboard in full gear, energized and excited about our finds. In some cases, it's not made us the most popular people. :D

...But that doesn't put us on some sort of "level." It's a false thought process that "the waters around here are different." (I hear that all the time, no matter where I am.) It's a false thought process that gear, skills and knowledge need to be different from dive to dive or location to location.

Take that with a grain of salt, though... Tropical waters deserve a 3mil wetsuit. Arctic waters deserve the right drysuit. Overhead always deserves doubles, and yes, singles are fine in 60 feet of Caribbean water.

...But the rig is still the same, no matter what exposure protection you choose, gas mix you choose, number of bottles you choose, etc. The harness is the same harness, the skills are the same skills, and the actions are the same actions. Thsi gives the DIR diver the opportunity to master the dive - because it's a repeat of last time, just with different scenery.

You wouldn't think about changing your regs "to suit THIS KIND OF DIVING," would you? I mean, you don't dive one style of reg in salt water, and another style of reg in freshwater, do you? Didn't you buy a reg that you could use in all of your diving? Didn't you buy the one that served it's purpose in all of the environments that you plan to be in? Of course you might not need the sealed reg capable of handling contaminated or cold water when you're diving in the Keys... But since you dive in the Great Lakes once a year, didn't you buy the reg that could handle it? Aren't you still going to dive that same reg everywhere you dive? The concept of "one, really nice reg for all of your diving" is a DIR thought process. Buy the best, buy it once, and use the heck out of it. Bingo - DIR Philosophy.

Why would it be any different with any other piece of gear? Why would it be any different with any dive skill that you've mastered? Doesn't that make sense?

...So I'm flattered when y'all say something about a "level," but I'm on the same level that you are. Same level, same water, same set of skills.

If you are using a skill or a piece of gear that doesn't work in certain situations, then get rid of it - there's lots of skills and lots of gear that will serve you equally well in all situations.

...Which is why they created the Fundies class in the first place... To give everyone the same instruction that will serve everyone correctly in all circumstances.

That way, you have the opportunity to master ONE set of skills - ONE set of gear - and ONE set of objectives - so that everything gets a whole lot simpler... And you can focus on what's important, because the rest has been moved over to "instinct."

...And suddenly, the focus of the dive comes off of "getting used to gear" or "finding your buddy" or "figuring out how to use this thing" or "making sure that I'm going to be safe" and gets on "exploring the wreck" or "taking in all of the reef life" or "getting that feeling of flying." You wanna talk about fun? THAT is fun!

I know that to a non-DIR diver that doesn't appear to be the case - I understand that... I was just there months ago. I still see that perspective.

But I've found that it's a fallacy. What your brain is processing when you look at a DIR diver ("He must have worked forever to have that sort of buoyancy" - "How does he remember where the long hose goes?" - "What a pain to have to watch your buddy all the time...") isn't even being processed anymore by the DIR diver - it's all automatic for him. He's thinking about the dive. He's firmly entrenched in FUN.

...And that's not a different level - at least, it shouldn't be. If you're not on the "FUN" level, you might want to look at coming over here and checking out how we dive.

Okay, getting off of my evangelical soapbox now. At least it's better than the "whine" soapbox. :D

BoomX5... Yes I am sure you are right... Do I need to go to a classroom to learn the secret handshake of the DIR cult?

S.J. Yes I did enjoy the part which explains the Frog swim (inside a wreck) I did learn from it... as well as the part that helps you evaluate yourself (although a bit extreme)...

I did not like the gear setup at all... as it is, I am looking for ways to shed off gear while diving... I have a friend who dives simply with Mask, Snorkel, Fins, Tank and Regulator!

coliseum:
BoomX5... Yes I am sure you are right... Do I need to go to a classroom to learn the secret handshake of the DIR cult?

Heh. "DIR cult." Lol... I need a T-shirt that says something about it being a "cult." :D

There's no secret handshake, and I've yet to see anyone drink any Kool-Aid, but maybe someone will invent the handshake and bring some Kool-Aid to our next outing. :D

S.J. Yes I did enjoy the part which explains the Frog swim (inside a wreck) I did learn from it... as well as the part that helps you evaluate yourself (although a bit extreme)...

Yeah, the whole thing's a "bit extreme," to be honest. I mean, GUE teaches this extreme buoyancy and this extreme diving - right down to asking you to quit smoking and eating right. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, and definitely not for the person that wants to "dive occassionally." DIR is a class on becoming a diver in everything you do.

Personally, I'm a fan of it - but not everyone's going to agree.

I did not like the gear setup at all... as it is, I am looking for ways to shed off gear while diving... I have a friend who dives simply with Mask, Snorkel, Fins, Tank and Regulator!

He could lose the snorkel and be even lighter. :D

I'm not sure what's given you the impression that DIR promotes anything BUT a minimalist gear configuration, but it sounds like your buddy has a DIR objective. :D I agree with you and him; shedding gear is great.

How's he attach the tank to himself?

I think they call it a backpack? its basically a BCD without the inflatable part... its great... he doesnt even wear weights!

Anyways... everyone has their thing and DIR is not mine... its a matter of choice and I respect yours ofcourse!

SeaJay:
There's no secret handshake

Well, actually there is. I started noticing that all my DIR buddies were doing it while diving ... hands extended forward, holding left fingers with right fingers.

So I asked ... what's that all about? They just told me it was to help with trim. But finally the truth was out.

On an outing with Uncle Pug I mentioned it, and he said ... "oh, that's the DIR secret handshake, welcome to the club" ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey Seajay, I think GUE is going to have to start paying you and Robyn for promoting DIR-f. Nice post :)

It almost made me want to give up solo diving and move away from the darkside :wink:

Mark

coliseum:
I think they call it a backpack? its basically a BCD without the inflatable part... its great... he doesnt even wear weights!
I'm not trying to be a snot here, I'm looking for honest answers, intending to show the same respect level you are showing SeaJay:

As an instructor, ignoring the equipment issues (equipment is only one chapter in the book), exactly what and why are you opposed to that which makes up DIR?

Buddy skills and a unified team concept? Last time I heard, only one agency trains for solo diving and your agency isn't the one.

Maximum Equivalent Narcotic Depth of 100ft and preference for EAN32? Okay, it's a bit more stringent than the RSTC accepted 130, but can you argue that there is anything wrong with it?

Absolute control of ones own buoyancy and trim at all times and maintaining every reasonable effort to avoid contact with the bottom? Isn't there a PADI specialty class in this area?

Physical conditioning? If you had to pick between John Candy and Chuck Norris for a dive buddy on a cruise across Palancar, who would you pick? Nobody is expected to be Mr. Universe, but GUE's standards are a bit higher than usual.
I can understand some level of rejection to this at the recreational level, but the problem is that some agencies continue this acceptance into the tech programs.

Now finally, let's not ignore equipment. Starting with your buddy's rig, a basic DIR system adds only a wing and a second regulator (we were all taught to carry an octo), along with a cutting device. The system advocates only enough weight to remain neutral at the end of the dive.
That's pretty basic. I carry a couple of backup lights, day or night, but they're tucked under my arms and out of the way.
If you need a primary light, what can be more minimalist than a canister, where the goodman handle allows full use of both hands? Beats the heck out of the old Darrel Allen :)

SeaJay,
Good job on your class.
I'm thinking about a way to get my daughter to take it.
She got burned out on PADI classes (this had nothing to do with PADI)due to a butthole of an instructor, so I might have to retake the fundy if I want her to take it.
She really likes the DIR crowd in N. CA.
When Joe Talavera had Experieance Day in Monterey she said she never felt so welcome.
But enough about that...Your writing is a breath of fresh air.
Thank you.
mech

RichLockyer:
Physical conditioning? If you had to pick between John Candy and Chuck Norris for a dive buddy on a cruise across Palancar, who would you pick?

Wait a second, isn't John Candy dead? If so, no way I would drag his lifeless, festering corpse across the ocean's bottom. I choose Chuck Norris...

JAG

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom