DIR Class: The Truth Comes Out (Again)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rich... agreed... but lets not keep lingering about the same old argument.. DIR is definately comparable to tech diving in other agencies, hence this leaves a gap for starter level diving courses. You dont go to flight school and expect to immediatly fly a Boeing 747... you have to go through the stages..

Again... I am pro recreational diving. As you said DIR advocates the Chuck Norris type divers... what about all the other people out there? I sure aint chuck norris.

coliseum:
I think they call it a backpack? its basically a BCD without the inflatable part... its great... he doesnt even wear weights!

Ah, I gotcha. I know those things well. They're pretty neat... Kinda like a backplate made of ABS - it even has a harness made of 2" webbing. They sell around $50.

There was a time when that was standard scuba gear - divers weighted themselves correctly (using weights if they had to, different tanks, or "backpacks" made of different materials - often allowing them to negate the need for weights at all) and simply dove.

The only issue was that the tank changed weight as it emptied - air (or whatever gas you're breathing - it was always air at the time) does have weight to it. An example would be an AL80 - from full to empty, the tank gets lighter by six pounds... And that, of course, can't be compensated for on a "backpack" rig because you can't add a little gas in the beginning of the dive, ending neutral with an empty bladder.

...Not that it was a really big issue... A good diver could easily just swim a little up or down, or use his/her lungs to compensate, and for the most part stay relatively neutral.

Later, a device was invented that helped the diver to compensate for the emptying tank... And the "buoyancy compensator" was born. Early designs had the diver wearing a collar that compensated, and in the early '70's Scubapro invented the "Stability Jacket" - the first jacket-style BC. Fast forward to today, and the backpack has made somewhat of a comeback, for it's simplicity and streamlinedness. If you were to make it out of aluminum or stainless, they'd call it a backplate. And it'd be very DIR. :D

...It's pretty much exactly what your buddy is wearing - except that we choose metal because we've seen it last longer, it doesn't crush when someone drops a tank on it, and there's a little weight to it - good, because we have to compensate for today's wetsuits and drysuits, which weren't worn originally, or were made of less buoyant materials.

The "wing" part of a DIR rig is interesting in that it folds the "compensator" part around the tank - exactly where it's needed.

Effectively, everything that your buddy is doing is exactly what GUE is teaching - except that we also add the bladder to compensate for the loss of gas as you empty the tank. It's also nice at the surface - you can just float in it. :D

Like Rich said (sorry if this is reiterating you, Rich... I thought I'd expand), there's also a backup second stage in case something goes wrong with the regulator (a "folded" diaphragm or sand/foreign body comes to mind here) or your buddy needs gas... Although you didn't say whether or not your buddy had a backup.

...Of course, you probably already know all of this - I guess I'm just pointing it out for the anonymous reader.

...But it's easy, then, to see why DIR preaches "correct" weighting so much... It's a wonderful thing not to have to use your bladder, and/or only use it to compensate a little. It also explains why a DIR diver's wing is surprisingly small... It's really only used to compensate for the change in weight as the gas is emptied from the tank.

Now we can all scratch our heads and wonder why so many BC's can't hold doubles or stage bottles (they can only handle one tank), but have 50 pounds of lift or more.

Anyways... everyone has their thing and DIR is not mine... its a matter of choice and I respect yours ofcourse!

...As I respect yours. I know a lot of great divers - and only a small percentage of them are DIR... I just found something that works for me, and am probably a little too boisterous about telling people. It's just hard not to get excited about that feeling of perfect weightlessness and utter control. :D

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, actually there is (a secret handshake). I started noticing that all my DIR buddies were doing it while diving ... hands extended forward, holding left fingers with right fingers.

Lol... Ah, yes... I didn't realize that was the secret handshake. :D

Yeah, holding your hands like that promotes the correct arch in the back, keeping the body prone and streamlined. It's also a nice place to have them, since your instruments are on your wrists and therefore right in front of you.

coliseum:
Again... I am pro recreational diving. As you said DIR advocates the Chuck Norris type divers... what about all the other people out there? I sure aint chuck norris.
Neither am I. For many of us, DIR is a journey, not a destination.
Will I ever pass a Tech-1 course? Not likely. Rec-Triox, and for that matter, DIR-F will be a challenge. I took a DIR-F class prior to it being a certification-level class. I think I did okay, but I'm sure I would not have passed a cert level class (BoomX5, feel free to speak up here if you think otherwise :) )

The concepts of DIR are absolutely critical to tech diving. For receational diving, they enhance safety, and for those who take the time to understand it, enjoyment and comfort.

DIR-F is just that... the fundamentals... of better diving. The Tech-1 course manual is entitled "The Fundamentals of Technical Diving". DIR is something to work toward, and being fully DIR is "all or nothing", but I dont' care if I've got a "DIR" label or not. Regardless, to attain the label, all you need are a mastery of some basic diving skills, a solid equipment system, and a committment to physical and mental fitness.

I chose Chuck Norris as an example because he is not the bulked out freak that many picture when you mention peak physical condition... he's a good example of a middle-aged guy who is in very good, well toned condition... a condition that is within realistic reach of anyone who SHOULD be medically qualified to dive.

My personal situation... a year ago I was pushing 220. I worked on my diet, but lacked any solid guidance. I managed to get down to 210, but then flopped between 205 and 210, spending most of the time at 210.
April 1st, at 210 and 28% bodyfat, I joined a gym and bought four sessions with a trainer and nutritionist. The nutritionist got me on a solid diet, consisting of food that I like and can eat every day, and that is combined with a solid cardio program (5-6 days) with 2 days of weight training per week. I'm basically doing an hour on the treadmill at 4mph on a 7% grade.
Today, I am 187 and 17% bodyfat. My blood pressure has dropped from 143/93 to 115/72 and my resting pulse has dropped from the high 80s to the mid 60s, often dropping to a solid 60.
I've gone from wearing 36's (slung low) to wearing 32's, worn properly at the waist.

If I can do that in 3 months, anyone can. It just takes the dedication to get off the couch.

coliseum:
Again... I am pro recreational diving.
I am too, which is why DIR appeals to me.

Did you not? Enjoy your class??
CG
SeaJay:
Some of you may remember the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/t21992.html where I chatted excitedly about taking a DIR Fundies course. The thread still pops up from time to time.

Well, I took the course again. It's been more than a few weeks since I took it, and of course, it was an amazing experience. I'd love to tell everyone what it was like to face my demons again, this time after practicing for more than a year and a half - for this specific moment.

RavenC took the class this time, too... Amazing things happened.

I hadn't bothered to talk about them at all - which is pretty much a huge personality change from what I used to be on the board. Some people, though, have asked me time and time again to please tell them about what it was like the second time around.

Well... It was fine.

I'd elaborate, but I might offend someone. I might say something that the lowest common denominator might not be able to handle without getting their panties in a wad. I might not be suitable for children. I might say something with some substance, and I might get censored or even banned.

So... Y'all get the homogenized version:

It was fine.

See y'all around...

tekdivers:
Did you not? Enjoy your class??
CG
Humm... First post, no info.
Me thinks that SeaJay could shed some light on who CG is.

WOW,

You know its wrong, but you just cant stop.

It is kinda like a bad Mexican soap opera. I cant believe I read all 96 posts of this garbage. Take the personal stuff offline.......PLEASE........

Okay... Well, I began the story, but it got removed. Apparently, I did offend someone.

I can't believe it. After 100 or so posts of you guys telling me that I was welcome to write about the experience, y'all pulled the post anyway.

*EDIT* It looks like it's back on - in the "non-diving related stuff" ( http://www.scubaboard.com/t63559.html ). Apparently they didn't feel that my story was "diving-related" enough. I was also "talked to" about the scene "taking place in the bedroom."

Y'all might want to read my original thread here ( http://www.scubaboard.com/t21992.html ) - just the first post - and perhaps you can see the relationship between the new story and the old. The whole thing is about much, much more than just putting a reg in your mouth and breathing. That's the whole point.

...But hey, once again I'm proven right - this is the worst I've ever seen this board... It's totally out of control.

'Doc, I told you my worries - your mods have once again done nothing but prove me right. They pulled the post - and after deliberating about it a while, finally buried it back in the back room somewhere.

Forget it, man. If y'all want to know what it's like to do a Fundies class, go find out for yourselves. Sorry, apparently my words are not welcome here.

You walked a tightrope in that post and some of the moderators wanted to be sure that the "bedroom scene" you just HAD to include was appropriate. We deemed it such, but we didn't see any diving in it so it was put it into non-diving. Just like this one got put in the whine and cheese forum. If somehow your new thread actually starts to talk about diving, we will move it to the appropriate section.

Somehow I feel that you were hoping for "something" to happen to vindicate your bad attitudes. Sorry, but my compassion for your "self destruct and then whine about it" tendencies have been used up. I think the "Stop your whining and post something useful" police are trying to tell you something. This thread is closed. If you have anything CONSTRUCTIVE to say, please take it to PM. We are tired of your Drama Queen antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom