DIR Approved Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomRep Diving

Contributor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... which masks are "approved" by DIR?
I'm not into DIR, but I was just curious to know...
If you can, please mention specific brands, and the color of silicone (that matters a lot, at least in spearfishing..)...
Thanks!

WHY do you care what is "DIR approved"??? What do you think they are going to not let you into their secret little club??? Not tell you what the secret handshake is??? Not let you drink of the Kool Aid???

DON'T worry about what is "DIR approved" . Just get a mask that fits your face and that is comfortable for you. Choose whatever color you want. Its called PERSONAL PREFERENCE... GUE (and "DIR") will teach you that thats not allowed, but dont fall into their trap. Just get a mask that works for you, and in what color you want it. Everything else will work out.

AND to all you flamers out there: there's a new gunman in town, and his motto is: "one shot, one kill"...

I'm not DIR, but I'm always interested in hearing the reasons behind why DIR states something is the right way.....it's always good to get more information on a topic....helps me make better decisions.

Peace,
Cathie

They would say a very low volume mask with split windows, and a black skirt. SOmething very similar to a spearfishing mask. Omersub, Sporasub, and maybe Cressi (i think) make some good masks that the DIR guys like...

One that fits properly.

If you have a choice between masks, the one with the lower volume would be a better choice.

If you are truly concerned about a "DIR" mask, it would be one that fits you properly, and preferably has a low volume.

The reason behind a good fit should be self explanatory.

Low volume allows for easier clearing in a single breath.

I have never seen any mention of color being a consideration for any "DIR Gear," contrary to popular belief.

Nor have I ever seen "required" brands. Ex: Scuba Pro Jet Fins are preferred, as they do a variety of kicks well. However, any fin that is capable of adequately performing the kicks would be "acceptable."

Getting back to the mask question, I personally prefer black.

It's not a "DIR Thing" but I find that clear skirts tend to be distracting as they allow light and shadow into your peripheral vision and I didn't care for that, especially while spearfishing.

CuriousMe once bubbled...
I'm not DIR, but I'm always interested in hearing the reasons behind why DIR states something is the right way.....it's always good to get more information on a topic....helps me make better decisions.

Peace,
Cathie

I can't answer for all of the reasons because I'm not a "fanatic" :D but I'll be more than happy to answer the reasonings behind any of the things I do know. My research into the subject was for much the same reason; to make better decisions. From everything I've learned, all of the reasons are solid ones.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Choose whatever color you want. Its called PERSONAL PREFERENCE... GUE (and "DIR") will teach you that thats not allowed, but dont fall into their trap. Just get a mask that works for you, and in what color you want it. Everything else will work out.

AND to all you flamers out there: there's a new gunman in town, and his motto is: "one shot, one kill"...

Really? Which class did you take that taught you that? Maybe I fell asleep during that portion of the class, because I sure don't remember any discussion on colors...

OTOH, I do recall taking an IANTD class that required I have a lift bag and a deco bottle!!! The nerve of them telling me that my safety sausage and spare air wouldnt be allowed as substitutions! So much for personal choice!

And I sure hope you aren't just shooting blanks... :D

There is no "DIR Approved" mask and just about everyone I know has a different one. Some features that would be preferred would be...

1. Good fit (very important to find the mask that fits YOUR face)
2. Low volume (easier to clear)
3. Black skirt (reduces reflections and glare from the side)
note: GI doesn't use a black mask but most everyone else in wkpp does. :wink:
4. Neoprene slap strap (can be added to any mask)

DSAO!

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
WHY do you care what is "DIR approved"??? What do you think they are going to not let you into their secret little club??? Not tell you what the secret handshake is??? Not let you drink of the Kool Aid???

DON'T worry about what is "DIR approved" . Just get a mask that fits your face and that is comfortable for you. Choose whatever color you want. Its called PERSONAL PREFERENCE... GUE (and "DIR") will teach you that thats not allowed, but dont fall into their trap. Just get a mask that works for you, and in what color you want it. Everything else will work out.

It appears some people just like to talk out the side of their neck :D I must admit that was a good response to his question by throwing out insults.Fortunately other members posted some good answers.WYDT pretty well hit the nail on the head concerning the mask.There isnt no particular brand or color that is approved and yes halcyon does sell a low volume mask but i have yet to see any DIR divers or even the WKPP wear one.It does seem that the scubapro frameless mask is really popular.

Also read this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=258105#post258105
As far a your motto it appears you havent practiced proper firearm safety and shot yourself in the foot :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom