DIR Approved Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lubold, you said something about split windows not being recommended...

Ummmmm,,,, I dont think I did... all JJ says in his book is that it should be a low volume mask, it doesnt say anything about split windows or single lense, or anything... Just low volume... I have to check my posts, but I dont think I said that...

I have 2 oceanic mini shadow masks...they are small, low-volume, and one single window. Nobody ever said anything about my mask and I can't remember anyone saying anything about anyone else's either...

All I was saying was what JJ says in his book DIR F of better diving. His "recommendation" was for a small, low volume mask that fits you comfortably. Thats it. Nothing More...

Arnaud once bubbled...
Lubold, you said something about split windows not being recommended...

I believe i said originally that they are recommended:

They would say a very low volume mask with split windows, and a black skirt.

Ok, delete the part about split windows (JJ doesn't). Although, the pic on the front of the book is interesting...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
of a scubapro frameless mask, with a black skirt.... Just a little innocent gentle marketing. ANyways, i didnt mean to come off as harsh as i did, i need to be more gentle with the DIR fellas... SOrry boys and girls...
No marketing to it... though Halcyon DOES make a black mask that is a single-window and similar to the Scubapro... except it's only $48 to Scubapro's $100+.

Anyways, I too prefer black, but I'm an OW diver and peripheral lighting and reflections can be distracting.

If you can find GI3's account of the dive where they lost Parker, there's an interesting quip that give a little insight to HIS personal choice... The viz was terrible and when Gavin passed him a note he could not read it. He ended up putting the note directly ON his mask and shined his light in through the side.

lal7176 once bubbled...
They are considered to be more durable and less prone to failure than a standard rubber mask strap.
Also (as I discovered in DIR-F) a LOT easier to replace over a neoprene hood. I looked like a complete goof on the video trying to get the thing back on.
Pissed me off too, because it was not even MY mask... my Cressi broke a pin before the 1st dive and I had left my backup at home... who needs a backup mask in 20ft and it's going to dissapear as quickly as the first one :D

Anyways, I borrowed one from Mike for the first day and from the shop for the second day (which was the day we taped that particular skill).

First thing I did when I got home was order 5 extra pairs of the part that broke. My backup mask now lives in my gear bag as well. If the pin breaks at depth, I can complete the dive w/o the strap, but at least I'd be able to START the dive. :)

Arnaud once bubbled...
How about split windows? Is there a problem with a single lense?
Single pane is not an issue... they just generally tend to be higher volume.
The Halcyon mask is a low-volume single pane. Could be a problem for divers with big noses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom