DIR "Approved Equipment" ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So you bought nasty gear at a poopy store owned by complete morons. Why would you group GUE instructors and GUE associated diveshops into that catagory.

If it was a GUE associated store please PM me and I will gladly head on over and pistol whip them with their spring straps until they give you your money back.

Otherwise what is the point? Would you like a list of gear to carry you through to GUE Tech 3?

I can give you that. I own most of it. Someone else will give you a slight variation on that as well. Another person will give you something else. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is an expert and most importantly everyone is human.

Did I mention the gear only does not make the man? I'm living proof of that. :D

d33ps1x:
So you bought nasty gear at a stroke store owned by complete morons.

And what's your definition of a "stroke store" ???

Ya know, I could've sworn this was supposed to be a troll-free zone ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ams511:
I have read (but not studied) J.J.'s book. The book seemed very neutral about specific brands of gear except for a few exceptions (buy Halcyon). Some of the stuff I see about DIR on the web is very brand specific. Only Scuba Pro or Apeks regs will do. You need a light that is cylindrical in shape not square. Buy Jet fins (although the book did advocate spring straps). Where do these recommendations come from? Are they BS or is there some list somewhere of approved equipment? I am not trying to troll (can this be used as a verb?) but what is the true story?

ams511,

Given your initial query that got this thread going, I'd say we've pretty well beat the horse to death for you.

Sounds like you had a negative initial experience!

It's tough to go further. When new guys (gender-neutral) join the board, unless they fill out their profiles responders don't really have much of a sense of where they dive, the type of diving they do, where they are along the general 'knowledge/experience curve' that most divers follow, and other facts that allow responders to 'customize' responses to the person who asked the question.

Hope the input you received made some sense to you. I'd offer two recommendations for your consideration...

First, rather than listen to any of us, take a DIR-F when one is offered in your area. You can learn a lot from searching and reading through old threads, but as Deep noted, lots of it is filtered through individual diver's filters. To get some straight scoop you need to listen to a GUE instructor.

Second, fill out your profile. It'll make getting back to you in a meaningful way much easier if people can put your comments into some sort of context.

Dive safe,

Doc

BTW - I meant to answer this question ...

So why would an Apeks be "DIR approved" while a Titan LX not be?

It has to do with the fact that you need a special tool to remove the cover from a Titan LX second stage, whereas you do not need any tool at all to remove the cover from an Apeks ATX second stage.

Why that matters has already been answered.

Internally they're essentially the same ... in fact, I think they even use the same rebuild kit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tricksy hobbitses ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
BTW - I meant to answer this question ...

It has to do with the fact that you need a special tool to remove the cover from a Titan LX second stage, whereas you do not need any tool at all to remove the cover from an Apeks ATX second stage.

Why that matters has already been answered.

Internally they're essentially the same ... in fact, I think they even use the same rebuild kit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You don't need a tool to remove the cover of the Titan. They don't use the same rebuild kit.

cnidae:
You don't need a tool to remove the cover of the Titan.

Hmmm ... I did on mine ... initially. I don't now, since I drilled two small holes in the cover so I can use a spanner to get the cover off.

They don't use the same rebuild kit.

OK ... I'll buy that. I was told otherwise (since I own both models) but my ATX200 is too new for me to have had to service it yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmm ... I did on mine ... initially. I don't now, since I drilled two small holes in the cover so I can use a spanner to get the cover off.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I saw your post and swore I've removed the covers before. I was in the shop yesterday and saw a few titans and pulled the covers off. Maybe you use to have with an older model or something.

Is the 3K wing from Dive system DIR approved? I'm looking for a good single tank wing and I also like the Halcyon Eclipse. Which one is better?

Gr.,
Penguin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom