DIR and Solo Diving, Incompatible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks:
Obviously not. However, DIR is a name applied to a diving style that incorporates a particular collection selection of skills, equipment and philosophy. If a diver doesn't adopt the elements of the diving style, then they do not fall within the definition of a DIR diver. That's not an insult. Its a simple fact that is neither good nor bad.

Regardless, why would you care whether you're DIR or not. If you don't want to follow the rules of DIR diving, then don't. Doing so doesn't mean you're a bad diver, it merely means that you are not a DIR diver.

IMHO, divers who worry about whether they are DIR or not and who confront people over the amount that they vary from DIR protocols have many more important issues with which they should be dealing. Most of these involve self-confidence and a need for approval and belonging.

Few if any words have been truer.

"If you don't want to follow the rules of DIR diving, then don't. Doing so doesn't mean you're a bad diver..."

Umm.... Have you ever read the writings of the individual that imposed the "DIR philosophy" on the WKPP once he became project director, and pretty much gave DIR the notoriety that it now receives? Not only are you a bad diver, you're a "stroke" and "suicidal," and true DIR divers must refuse to dive with you.

CRDiver:
"If you don't want to follow the rules of DIR diving, then don't. Doing so doesn't mean you're a bad diver..."

Umm.... Have you ever read the writings of the individual that imposed the "DIR philosophy" on the WKPP once he became project director, and pretty much gave DIR the notoriety that it now receives? Not only are you a bad diver, you're a "stroke" and "suicidal," and true DIR divers must refuse to dive with you.
Actually...thats not what GI3 said. But many so called Internet DIR divers have babbled that line.

Here is what he did say http://www.pina.us/dive/stroke.htm

CRDiver:

I have. I don't see your point.

I am generally familiar with the standards and procedures used by the WKPP. I don't have much of an opinion, except to note that many of the dives they execute are so far beyond my skill set (decompression with some wreck penetration) that I'm not qualified to comment upon their specific procedures used in those dives. In general, however, I find their methodology helpful to my diving. That's why my more challenging dives are done with an integrated team that trains together, has a defined set of procedures and uses generally standardized equipment. It allows us to do more challenging dives while maintaining an acceptable level of risk and having fun. The team members know that we will be there for each other and will do what we need to do to back each other up. That's a nice feeling when you're inside a wreck and looking at 30 minutes of deco before you can surface.

I'm also familiar with Mr. Irvine's Internet rants. I don't agree with his style, althoug there are some people who got precisely what they deserved. I also don't agree with a fair portion of his content, including the material you quoted above. I simply don't care what he says. Irvine is not the end all and be all of DIR diving. He's not even a GUE instructor, doesn't teach, doesn't dive where I do and, IMHO, has many other issues.

Personally, I listen to GUE and their instructors when it comes to DIR questions. Their advice has always been helpful, even if it has not always been delivered in the nicest manner (sometimes you've gotta get someone's attention).

Northeastwrecks:
Irvine is not the end all and be all of DIR diving. He's not even a GUE instructor, doesn't teach, doesn't dive where I do and, IMHO, has many other issues.

Personally, I listen to GUE and their instructors when it comes to DIR questions. Their advice has always been helpful, even if it has not always been delivered in the nicest manner (sometimes you've gotta get someone's attention).

So one of the co-founders of DIR is not a useful source of information? I know he can be a pain to listen to, but if you look past all of the ranting there is a lot of good information from him (even though he slams peoples' noses in the dirt). He doesn't have to be a GUE instructor to comment on DIR, he practically invented the concept. Hell, many of the current GUE instructors are/were WKPP divers or were taught DIR through the WKPP. So really no matter who you talk to in GUE, it all comes down from the top with JJ and George and their experience in the WKP.

P.S. What does any of this GI3 business have to do with Solo diving and DIR? We have gotten a bit off track here... A simple NO would have been appropriate.

Charlie99:
I find this much more interesting. :54:

As Land Zimmer says, the answer is pretty clear. SOLO DIVING IS NOT DIR.
Wow...I must agree...Gives a brand new meaning to the term Stroke

Snowbear,

Obviously you did not check out the Pina's website. JeffG was not calling anyone a stoke or calling anyone else a name. Pina is a VERY attractive young lady and the pictures she has posted of herself could give someone a stoke. They sure took my breath away. Not only is she beautiful but she is also very intellegent (see her resume).

It also turns out that Pina has worked on the WKPP project (again see resume) and is a DIR diver. She also has numerious links (very good ones) to all things DIR. So I believe the posts were on-topic and civil.

polkster13:
Snowbear,

Obviously you did not check out the Pina's website. JeffG was not calling anyone a stoke or calling anyone else a name. Pina is a VERY attractive young lady and the pictures she has posted of herself could give someone a stoke. They sure took my breath away. Not only is she beautiful but she is also very intellegent (see her resume).

It also turns out that Pina has worked on the WKPP project (again see resume) and is a DIR diver. She also has numerious links (very good ones) to all things DIR. So I believe the posts were on-topic and civil.
I was going to reply with a big Woooooosh, but why sweat the small stuff :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom