DIR and Smoking (Split from DIR Fin thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't it be more logical to somehow measure one's capacity to transfer o2 into the blood rather than a blanket, "no smoking" rule? I would guess that residents of Manila or Jakarta or Mexico City who don't smoke, breath as much monoxide, second hand cigarett smoke and other noxious gases, as someone living on the Big Island of Hawaii who smokes 4 or 5 cigaretts a day.
My point it that if it's truly safety DIR and GUE is concerned with, it's not an effective means for screening potential problems. It may help but it is prejudiced and not 100% accurate. I guess you could say it's not DIR.

Hank49:
Wouldn't it be more logical to somehow measure one's capacity to transfer o2 into the blood rather than a blanket, "no smoking" rule?
I guess you could say it's not DIR.
No, because smoking is a terribly unhealthy habit, and doing terrible, harmful things to your body is not Doing It Right.

It's a choice, and making such a poor choice as being a smoker is simply not in line with DIR principles. It's not just wearing a long hose, it's a diving philosophy.

jonnythan:
No, because smoking is a terribly unhealthy habit, and doing terrible, harmful things to your body is not Doing It Right.

It's a choice, and making such a poor choice as being a smoker is simply not in line with DIR principles. It's not just wearing a long hose, it's a diving philosophy.

So if I choose to live in Mexico City or Jakarta or Bombay, truly unhealthy cities, I can't take a DIRF class? To just pick one thing that's bad for you randomly, and exclude people for doing it, doesn't go along with the usual logical approach of DIR

jonnythan:
Azza, I know that some cigarette smokers have taken DIRF.. they just haven't lit up during the class. I think it's probably less of an issue for DIRF than, say, a deco class.
Well maybe I might just give up before I take dirf. That poses the question...
How long does one have to give up before one is classed as a non-smoker...?
Dont mind me...

I know of one guy who quit right after the class...so it's not like they run a background check. I believe the idea is that SCUBA is an athletic activity with unique stresses on the body, and should be treated as such.

Azza:
Well maybe I might just give up before I take dirf. That poses the question...
How long does one have to give up before one is classed as a non-smoker...?
Dont mind me...

Azza -

I took DIR-F wearing a nicotine patch in March. Granted I had been smoke free for 2 months by then, but I was still on the patch.

I was a pack-day-smoker for nearly 15 years before I put it down for good on Jan 11th 2005. While I did it for many, many reasons, DIR was a part of it. I want to dive wrecks that require technical training and hope to someday be able to explore caves. I knew as long as I was taking puffs from the "death sticks" that it just wouldn't work.

Each day is a challenge, but I get stronger with every passing hour. It's been 18 weeks and 1 day since that last smoke, and I never plan to go back again, not even for one puff!

When I sit down and figure it out, it is quite staggering to me.
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 2,547 (and counting!)
Money Saved: $698.50 (and counting!)

I've since treated myself to a 21W HID canister light. Sounds like a great deal to me! Live a longer and healthier life, have extra cash to spend on gear! :D

Derek (aka BOSSHOSS)

Derek S:
Each day is a challenge, but I get stronger with every passing hour. It's been 18 weeks and 1 day
since that last smoke, and I never plan to go back again, not even for one puff!

awesome, way to go! 1 year and almost 7 months for me

it gets LOTS easier in a little bit. after about 7-8 months, you barely think about
it anymore.

also, DO NOT take even a single puff. that is deadly. last time, i had quit for
10 months and like a moron decided to have a little puff... game over...
that's when the junkie talk starts, and you're done for

I gave up cigerettes on 10th January last year. I havnt had a ciggy since. I do however have the odd cigar now and then, and when I say odd, I mean maybe 1 a month if that, usually with a glass of brandy. Some months none, but I enjoy them and they dont make me feel like starting on the ciggys again so whats the harm really.

i wish i had that sort of willpower

i don't

so i just stay away :)

H2Andy:
i wish i had that sort of willpower

i don't

so i just stay away :)
I understand totally. I have had friends try the same thing and sure enough they are smoking in no time.
I have some rules with my cigars though.
1/ Only when I am drinking.
2/ Never when I am stressed out. Its too easy to use stress as an excuse to start smoking again.
3/ If I really feel the urge to have one, I dont.

Has worked so far and I doubt I will ever smoke ciggys again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom