DIR and Smoking (Split from DIR Fin thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S:
Azza -

I took DIR-F wearing a nicotine patch in March. Granted I had been smoke free for 2 months by then, but I was still on the patch.

I was a pack-day-smoker for nearly 15 years before I put it down for good on Jan 11th 2005. While I did it for many, many reasons, DIR was a part of it. I want to dive wrecks that require technical training and hope to someday be able to explore caves. I knew as long as I was taking puffs from the "death sticks" that it just wouldn't work.

Each day is a challenge, but I get stronger with every passing hour. It's been 18 weeks and 1 day since that last smoke, and I never plan to go back again, not even for one puff!

When I sit down and figure it out, it is quite staggering to me.
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 2,547 (and counting!)
Money Saved: $698.50 (and counting!)

I've since treated myself to a 21W HID canister light. Sounds like a great deal to me! Live a longer and healthier life, have extra cash to spend on gear! :D

Derek (aka BOSSHOSS)

Gday Derek. Well done mate. It does get easier with time believe it or not. Best move I ever made. I think it helped that my GF is a non-smoker.

Azza:
Gday Derek. Well done mate. It does get easier with time believe it or not. Best move I ever made. I think it helped that my GF is a non-smoker.

Thanks Azza. My wife is a non-smoker which helped some, but I was just ready, ya know?

I'm already planning on things to do with the money saved. I just took delivery of a HID can light, mostly paid for by the proceeds of not smoking! :14:

Derek S:
Azza -

I took DIR-F wearing a nicotine patch in March. Granted I had been smoke free for 2 months by then, but I was still on the patch.

I was a pack-day-smoker for nearly 15 years before I put it down for good on Jan 11th 2005. While I did it for many, many reasons, DIR was a part of it. I want to dive wrecks that require technical training and hope to someday be able to explore caves. I knew as long as I was taking puffs from the "death sticks" that it just wouldn't work.

Each day is a challenge, but I get stronger with every passing hour. It's been 18 weeks and 1 day since that last smoke, and I never plan to go back again, not even for one puff!

I've since treated myself to a 21W HID canister light. Sounds like a great deal to me! Live a longer and healthier life, have extra cash to spend on gear! :D

Derek (aka BOSSHOSS)

If ya ever get the urge to light one up -- go run around the block. You won't want one when your done! When I quit umpteen years ago, the first day, I ran down the street and the last thing I wanted was a smoke. Been smoke free ever since ( 15 yrs ) but exercising when the craving hit was a sure way not to smoke. Congrats on getting this far and I'm sure you'll stick with it.

jonnythan:
Azza, I know that some cigarette smokers have taken DIRF.. they just haven't lit up during the class. I think it's probably less of an issue for DIRF than, say, a deco class.

Are you joking? Have you ever hung out with a north sea oil rig diver? These guys are compressed on trimix for days, and smoke like chimneys when they get ashore! And you should see the amount of alchohol they consume.
It really is worthwhile keeping some perspective: just as I would expect an olympic athlete (or someone form LA) to be obsessed with their body, I would expect anyone undertaking extreme forms of diving to be the same. (Hint: 99% of diving does NOT meet that definition).
For the rest of us, reasonable precautions are in order, but certainly not arbitrary prohibitions. As an example, I would recommend that a very overweight diver, or one who smokes, should moderate the depth/bottom time equation, or use a high oxygen mix without extending bottom time.
Most of us do not put ourselves in high physical stress situations, and most of us do not dive at extreme depths/bottom times so for the majority, the prohibition is an unreasonable stance. Social responsibility is a different topic....

Derek S:
Azza -

Derek (aka BOSSHOSS)

Way to go!

I stopped smoking more than twenty-four years ago. The motivation for me was to run a mile in less than five minutes - I made it and then some!

I only had about 4 years of nicotine in me but the change was still remarkable and the fact I could do it prepared me for many more challenges ahead.

jonnythan:
If you're trying to say that cigar smoking is not smkoing because you don't inhale through the mouth, then you're crazy.

Well cigar smoking is indeed smoking but its important to differentiate it from cigarette smoking. I smoke 2-3 cigars per week. As has been pointed out, one doesn't inhale cigar smoke unless you want to hug a toilet for an extended period of time. Taking in nicotine through the mouth like cigar smokers (or like chew or dip) is much different then taking it in through the lungs. There is a significant difference between cigar and cigarette smokers. I work out quite a bit so I'm sensitive to the entire fitness issue. Don't know if GUE differentiates, but they certainly should.

Peter McGuinness:
Are you joking? Have you ever hung out with a north sea oil rig diver? These guys are compressed on trimix for days, and smoke like chimneys when they get ashore! And you should see the amount of alchohol they consume.
It really is worthwhile keeping some perspective: just as I would expect an olympic athlete (or someone form LA) to be obsessed with their body, I would expect anyone undertaking extreme forms of diving to be the same. (Hint: 99% of diving does NOT meet that definition).
For the rest of us, reasonable precautions are in order, but certainly not arbitrary prohibitions. As an example, I would recommend that a very overweight diver, or one who smokes, should moderate the depth/bottom time equation, or use a high oxygen mix without extending bottom time.
Most of us do not put ourselves in high physical stress situations, and most of us do not dive at extreme depths/bottom times so for the majority, the prohibition is an unreasonable stance. Social responsibility is a different topic....

Nicely stated

Are you trying to say that monitored, professional decompression has the same risk as recreational amateur decompression? Not only is that absurd, but we don't know what factors the rig professionals take into consideration when setting up their deco tables and safety factors.

You can't compare saturation rig divers to any amateur diver. And if you could, the fact is that the rig companies and their divers have one set of risk factors, and GUE has their own. If someone doesn't like the standards, there are other agencies willing to take their money to be trained. No one has a gun to their head forcing them to take a DIR class.

Peter McGuinness:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom