DIR and Smoking (Split from DIR Fin thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
Quote:
...<snip>...The rush of adrenaline stimulates the body and causes a sudden release of glucose as well as an increase in blood pressure, respiration, and heart rate...<snip>...In addition, nicotine indirectly causes a release of dopamine in the brain regions that control pleasure and motivation. This reaction is similar to that seen with other drugs of abuse-such as cocaine and heroin- and it is thought to underlie the pleasurable sensations experienced by many smokers. In contrast, nicotine can also exert a sedative effect, depending on the level of the smoker's nervous system arousal and the dose of nicotine taken.
QUOTE]

From this description, nicotine has the same narcotic effect as Shaka's avatars :wink: That makes Shaka a pusher :death2:

menemsha43:
Did I read that correctly on the GUE prerequisites,
you must be a nonsmoker? What's that all about?
While my agency discourages smokers, it does not prevent them from taking
technical courses...but I do !! I just do not accept smokers in my courses.
It might decrease my enrollment, but increase my self-esteem in that I am
not an accomplice to their own self-inflicted DCS.
For a very detailed explanation on why smokers should not practice tech
diving visit my web site with address on the bottom and click on the link to
"Smokers and Tech Diving". If after reading it you still need any additional
explanations, just PM me for more.

Lung X-rays speak for themselves. Smoking could gue up the lungs trapping air. Chewings I dont know as long as its not done while diving, we dont chew gum do we ? Depends on the dive also; is it a conservative 50 ft dive or a deep wreck were the may be some physiological effect magnified.

So... How did we go with the cigar issue? Doers anyone know if cigar smokers are precluded from GUE training?

Thats right. Gigar smokers. Thats why I am confused. The way I read it is they dont differentiate, asmoker is a smoker no matter what they smoke, but that confuses me. <edit>Scuttlebut has it that there are GUE Instructors that smoke cigars so I dont get it!?!?!?!</edit>

well... the real problem with cigarettes is that they make your lungs and your
body less than efficient at gas exchanges and so on...

so since you don't inhale cigars, maybe that's ok?

just a guess

H2Andy:
well... the real problem with cigarettes is that they make your lungs and your
body less than efficient at gas exchanges and so on...

so since you don't inhale cigars, maybe that's ok?

just a guess
If you don't inhale cigars, what's the stuff floating up off the end of the cigar and filling your lungs?

smoke...?

seriously, most people don't inhale cigars. they keep the smoke in their mouths,
and it never goes past their throats

H2Andy:
smoke...?

seriously, most people don't inhale cigars. they keep the smoke in their mouths,
and it never goes past their throats
And no one is inhaling the completely unfiltered smoke coming off the end of the thing? :wink:

It's still smoking. How much GUE instructors care I'm not sure, but it's still CO-containing smoke that's getting inhaled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom