Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did have to use my DIN-to-yoke adapter a couple of times.

In Cozumel, my first tank had a Pro valve, but the insert was corroded in place and we couldn't get it out. I had to use the adapter for that and just caved and used it the whole time I was there.

On a Blackbeard cruise, I had requested a DIN tank and was led to believe that I would get one unless other people grabbed them all first. In reality, they had no DIN tanks. I think they specifically do not want to deal with DIN tanks on the Blackbeard's boat because every bench seat is setup with a fill whip to fill the tank in that spot.

After every dive, you put your still-assembled rig and tank into a spot, bungee it in place, and then just remove your 1st stage from the tank. The crew comes around and puts the fill whips on all the tank and start them filling, so it will be ready by the time you are done with your surface interval and ready to splash again.

All the fill whips were yoke and I think it would simply be slightly more work for the crew to make a DIN connection every time, in order to fill a tank. Yoke is a little less secure, but it's also a little quicker to put on and take off.

On those occasions, it was not a big deal. I had my adapter, and my tank valve rides somewhere around the base of my neck, so having the 1st stage 1/4 inch or so closer to my body does not make me hit my head on it.

Huh? I think you have that backwards. As you said, you can put a yoke (with an adapter) on most DIN tanks. But, it’s that “most” that makes it not simple. There are some tanks on which you cannot use any yoke reg. Period. All of my personal steel tanks, for example.

The reverse is much simpler. You can use a DIN reg on any tank (some, with an adapter).

On convertable valves you can use newer yokes, however if you use some of the earlier yokes they may not work due to the size of the valve being larger than the inside size of the yoke. My 4000# service pressure yoke will not work with any convertable valve and some new non convertibles.

The the 300 bar DIN valves were specificly made to preclude the use of yoke valves on them, so it's not a supprise they don't work together, but try to use a 200 bar DIN reg on a 300 bar valve.

The 300 bar DIN reg can be used on any Scuba tank valve, although with an adapter, it might be suboptimal.

Bob

try to use a 200 bar DIN reg on a 300 bar valve.
...and fail, because the DIN design was deliberately made to preclude the use of a 232 bar reg on a 300 bar valve. Also, you can't get a a yoke conversion insert to fit a 300 bar valve.

AFAIK there's no such thing as a 200 bar DIN reg. Only 232 bar and 300 bar. Although since there's also no 200 bar valves, a 232 bar reg will fit perfectly on the valve of a 200 bar tank. But that's a moot point anyway, because I don't believe anyone sells 232 bar DIN regs anymore. Why should they? A 300 bar reg will fit just fine on a 232 bar valve.

However, a proper 300 bar fill whip won't. And a proper 232 bar fill whip won't fit a 300 bar valve. A decanting whip should fit both, I guess because it can be assumed that divers who mess around with decanting whips know enough not to blow up their gear or themself.

I've linked to this excellent article before. Seems as if it's time to do that again.

The 300 bar DIN reg can be used on any Scuba tank valve, although with an adapter, it might be suboptimal.
How?

A 300 bar fitting has extra deep threads. A 232 bar reg won't seat in a 300 bar tank, or in theory it shouldn't.
But a 300 bar regulator will fit a 232 bar valve, it will just have some exposed threads.

All by fill whips are 300 bar and are just like the regulator, they fit 232 and 300 bar valves.

The whole safety thing is to try to prevent a lower rated consumer part (regulator) from being put on a higher pressure tank. Hence the deep threads on the 300 bar valve prevent a 232 bar regulator from being able to seal up or a yoke conversion insert and a yoke won't fit either. But there isn't an issue with putting a regulator capable of regulating a higher pressure on a lower pressure bottle, since every bottle will go to a lower pressure as you use it.

I can’t recall ever having a DIN o-ring blowout. .

I have had a DIN o-ring blowout but never had a yoke o-ring blowout.

I have witnessed a DIN O-ring blowout during gear assembly. I've never witnessed a yoke O-ring blowout, perhaps since I've never used a yoke reg.

O-rings have a finite lifespan. When they get damaged, they can blow. Question is, how likely is a ring extrusion and blowout for the two types of couplings?

On convertable valves you can use newer yokes, however if you use some of the earlier yokes they may not work due to the size of the valve being larger than the inside size of the yoke. My 4000# service pressure yoke will not work with any convertable valve and some new non convertibles.

The the 300 bar DIN valves were specificly made to preclude the use of yoke valves on them, so it's not a supprise they don't work together, but try to use a 200 bar DIN reg on a 300 bar valve.

Bob

I've never heard of or seen a DIN reg that was not rated for 300 bar.

I'm not saying they don't exist. I just haven't seen one and I think all current, name brand DIN regs are 300 - which is what is particularly germane to this thread and the OP.

In light of the possibility that there are somewhere out in the world DIN regs that are rated less than 300 bar, I will revise my earlier statement.

A 300 bar DIN reg will work on any and every tank (possibly with an adapter). There is no yoke reg that will work on any/every tank (adapter or not).

I have had a DIN o-ring blowout but never had a yoke o-ring blowout.

Either CAN blow out. I have some DIN valves where the threads are a bit "sticky" (for lack of a better word). With those, it is not hard to screw a reg in and think it's all the way in when it's not. If you turn on a DIN valve with the reg not fully seated into the valve, a DIN O-ring can absolutely blow out.

I have seen plenty of yoke O-rings blow out, too.

DIN or yoke, if the O-ring is in good condition and the reg is installed on the tank properly, neither one is going to blow out.

To answer your question there is a slight disadvantage to having a DIN 1st stage and using a yoke adaptor, it makes the first stage a little bit bulkier than just using a 1st stage with a built in yoke connector. That can result in the first stage being more prone to hit the back of your head when you lift your head up. This can be easily overcome by adjusting placement of the tank in your BCD.

omg the head bumps, hate them.

All by fill whips are 300 bar and are just like the regulator, they fit 232 and 300 bar valves.
A 300 bar fill whip have no threads close to the tip, so it will not connect to a 232 bar valve. DIN is very close to idiot proof.

Another advantage with DIN is that the O-ring is on the regulator. That means that on a dive trip I am responsible for the O-ring rather than the tank owner.

(First post on SB. Have been reading for a while)

A 232 bar reg won't seat in a 300 bar tank, or in theory it shouldn't.
It can't. Its physically impossible. The central piece is too wide to fit in the indent in the valve, and there's not enough threads for the reg to bottom in the valve and seal. But since I still haven't seen a 232 bar DIN reg, only 300 bar, the point is rather moot. All you have to worry about is using the correct fill whip. Because a correctly manufactured 232 bar DIN fill whip can't seal in a 300 bar valve since the threaded portion is too short, and a correctly manufactured 300 bar DIN fill whip can't seal in a 200/232 bar valve since the central piece is too long to fit in the valve. It takes an extremely talented idiot to get around that idiot-proof design.

If so, the whips you are familiar with aren't made according to standard.

Did you read the post just above yours? Or the article that post linked to?

Back
Top Bottom