Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joshua Young

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys,

New here, and so far, I’ve managed to sidestep the BP/W mines, the Primary / Alternate mines... and here I’m about to step on one, lol. I tried doing a search, but didn’t find those info readily available.

So is there a disadvantage to having DIN and have a DIN to Yoke converter, instead of just Yoke 1st stage? I’m looking to buy a reg, and at the moment, I’m in Japan, but I’ll be going around Asia for my diving trips. I know DIN is big in Europe and technically can hold more pressure, etc. But Yoke is more “universal” in all sort of different places.

Thanks again for the input,

Josh

If you will be buying high pressure steel tanks in the future, or renting them for tech diving, get DIN.

If you will be mostly renting 3000 psi tanks in the USA or Carribbean, get yoke.

You need to check some shops in Asia near where you plan to dive. I suspect most rentals will be aluminum 80s with yoke.

Some people feel that the yoke adapter is another potential failure point. I have my own tanks and use DIN with them. When I travel, I use an adapter or bring one of my old yoke regs. Yeah, I have way too much scuba stuff. You will too if you really like diving.

In SE Asia, A-clamp is more or less the de facto one. But there are plenty operators using DIN to Yoke valve insert.
I always ask ahead and prepare accordingly.

We have DIN in Australia. We travel with an adapter. We have HP DIN valves with inserts so our friends who come here to dive wish us from NA can use our tanks easily. We have never had any problems with the Adapters.

To answer your question there is a slight disadvantage to having a DIN 1st stage and using a yoke adaptor, it makes the first stage a little bit bulkier than just using a 1st stage with a built in yoke connector. That can result in the first stage being more prone to hit the back of your head when you lift your head up. This can be easily overcome by adjusting placement of the tank in your BCD.

Fewer entanglements with DIN than yoke, so it's safer where any amount of fishing exists. I've dove my DIN around the world and have never had a problem, even when I forgot my adapter.

All the PADI, SSI, SDI and TDI instructors I dive with prefer DIN for its more positive connection between valve and first stage.

Japan is almost exclusively Yoke.
DIN+Yoke adapter: slightly bulkier and heavier than "native" Yoke, plus another potential failure point.

You can always buy Yoke now and then when/if you move to "DIN Country" and/or your diving calls for it, get your regulator(s) converted to DIN - check whether your model can be easily converted if that's something you might consider. The Cressi MC9 conversion, for example, is so easy anybody can do it and the conversion kit costs less than a Yoke adapter.

I have DIN regs for use at home with my HP steel tanks and doubles. However I do a lot of diving in the Caribbean, so I also have a yoke reg for use when I travel. It's pretty much a luxury, but it's nice not to have to keep swapping hoses and regulators around. And I really hate dealing with the yoke adapter.

Depending where you are in Japan, see if you can reach out to the GUE guys over there. It's a great little community. I'm not GUE but I learned a lot from the few days I spent with them. They also have a boatload of european steel tanks (mostly 12Ls) with DIN valves.

Back
Top Bottom