DIN vs. Yoke vs. Online vs. LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by akajack
I bought theapeks tx-100 for $259 at dive and surf, ended up sending $38 additional up to Canada to get the Din Conversion. I hope it comes, if not they wanted $85 at dive and surf, anyone know where I can pay less if this one from Canada fails to arrive?
thanks

DiveINN sells them for $35US, so $38 isn't too bad.

Good luck.

Mike

Greetings once again. I'm going to continue beating the dead horse of "din vs yoke" into the ground. No actually im just refreshing a question mentioned earlier....

Ifukuda, in response to your statement :
" Sport Chalet dive centers seem to carry only Yoke first stages and sell the DIN adapter (converter? converter kit?) separately. Are regulators, equipped with the DIN first stages to begin with, not popular enough for Sport Chalet to carry?"

It isn't that they arent popular. It's simply that 80% of the clientele of the store I work at are happy with their 30-40 foot excursions in a no-overhead environement. So we mainly cater to the popular *customer*. The popular customer buys AL80's, which have yoke valves. While it is a simple process to use a yoke adpater on a din first stage, it is (sadly) beyond the understanding of many people. So we simplify the matter by selling the normal yoke 1st stages and din adapters for the more serious customers. (i'm not implying that HP din valves are only for technical use *only* either..)

When I have a 'technical' customer come in and say "i need a din put on my first stage", I get the appropriate din adapter, unscrew their yoke piece, check the torque requirements for the din piece, screw it in and tighten it down to the specifications. It is now a *din* first stage, able to use a yoke adapter on yoke valves. A first stage remains the same in function, a yoke or din setup on it is simply a connector to a valve. Not (usually not) an integrated internal piece of the 1st stage itself.

Also, its often argued that it is particularly easier to get water into a din first stage due to improper care and handling than it is to do the same with a yoke. Not trying to start arguments, but I'd say this still relates to the "technical-ism" of the customer paying attention to detail. "Yokes are easier to maintain" would summarize this last paragraph. (this is a statistical evidence, for those of you who wish to fire off a disagreement)

Here's some humor.... (this happened to me)

There's always the stray guy (like a few days ago) who walks in and says :doctor: "that damn reg you sold me isnt working". I take a look at it, pop the delrin cover off of the 1st stage on the yoke and turn it upsidedown and water pours out of the first stage. "sir this has water in it" I say. :confused:"so?" he says. "sir", i say " your first stage is not supposed to have water in it... its supposed to be dry. "oh" he says. "you didnt drop this in the water by anychance did you?" i say. Guilty look, plain as day, he starts to stutter "well, no, no of course not, gosh... i wonder how it got that way...no no... no i .. no... " Dead guilty... well, being as how the company I work for has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, he decides he wants a better reg anyways, slaps down some extra cash and walks out with a Maximus reg with a 10% discount... :shark: any thoughts on that one?

Well, a bit lengthlier than I originally planned, but does this help at all?

Blacknet says,

"I do have to add that the spectrum/xr2 is a joke! It's a piece of junk that fails miserably with performance, reliability and design. I recently pulled one out of service because of the horrible problems I have had with the unit. When you get down to the bottom line the design flaws will definately turn your stomache. I for one am glad to see the old seaquestion product line go out the door and the apeks line come in."

Partial agreement here, I'm glad to see the Apeks line as well. Next month im buying the ATX 200 set with a din on it and the TX 50 octo. Looks like a good rig, I'm sure I'll like it.

On the other hand... I have owned my XR2 for about...oh, three years now. Made numerous dives below 100 feet on it, never had a problem. I'd go so far as to say that I love my regulator, it's never let me down, not even on the two occasions that I've had to puke through it underwater. :) lol (one was yesterday, by the way, Yukon dive, 4 foot swells)
Then again <devious grin> I take good care of my equipment too... (boy that was an open-ended satement, wasnt it?) ;-)

Also, Ifukuda, you said:
"any info on plans for a sale for the Seaquest Pro QD's?"

-yes, we currently carry them at my location, I just now (literally) called my boss there for a price. They're $429. :)

Therrin,

On the other hand... I have owned my XR2 for about...oh, three years now. Made numerous dives below 100 feet on it, never had a problem. I'd go so far as to say that I love my regulator, it's never let me down

My XR-2 was retired after about 4 years of dis-service. I did not realize what a pos it was untill at the end then I understood how/why thing happened the way they did. All to often dive shops will tell you "that's the way it's suppose to be" when in fact it's far from the truth. My xr-2 has been to 150 feet on air and I now realize the performance/handling was typical of this unit. My point is if you don't know the way a reg should handle your in the dark.

Ed

Blacknet says : "My XR-2 was retired after about 4 years of dis-service. I did not realize what a pos it was untill at the end then I understood how/why thing happened the way they did.

My xr-2 has been to 150 feet on air and I now realize the performance/handling was typical of this unit. My point is if you don't know the way a reg should handle your in the dark. "

Thats interesting Ed, possibly you had a bad reg, or maybe I had one that just worked. :wink: I wasn't tryin to dis you on the last post, just having fun.

Ive only had my XR2 down to 135 fsw, though I've also had a maximux and a TX 100 down that far. I don't think the XR2 is by any means a reg I'd take *too* deep, but then again, with my ATX 200 i won't have to worry about that too much. And once again, even paired up with other regs, i never though it performed 'badly'. Though I dont exactly think I'm in the dark on the topic either.... Who else have you heard bad about the XR2 from? They made a few different versions of that reg, and had a "cryo upgrade" for it for colder water. I will give you the part that a dry sealed 1st stage environment is prefered to the silicone'd one of the XR2, which is another reason I look forward to the ATX200.

SeaQuest made a few diff models of the Xr2, by the way.

the Century XR2 was a balanced piston design

the Spectrum XR2 was a balanced diaphragm design.

I use the Spectrum XR2 rig. Never had a chance to try the Century model.

Then again there's the Mirage XR which was a cheaper model, not as adjustable, and sometimes confused with the XR2.

Which model do you have Blacknet?

Therrin, the problem with the DIN is not the regulator inlet, it's the tank outlet. These are troublesome receptacles for water. The yoke valve is simply easier and faster to blow clear when filling tanks on a boat.

>>>Also, its often argued that it is particularly easier to get water into a din first stage due to improper care and handling than it is to do the same with a yoke.<<<

We've always been taught that if you purge air for a moment out through the din valve on the tank before you either fill it or attatch your 1st stage to it, you get rid of any water sitting in the valve. For our purposes it seems to work quite decently, short of that i suppose you could wrap a lint-free cloth around your ring finger and wipe away any excess moisture.

But yes, they are inherently a bit more troublesome than yoke valves. Though yokes arent rated to 300 bar....

I suppose its the whole "give something to get something" idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom