DIN Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cebudiver

Reaction score
What are DIN valves? Why are DIN valves better? Do I need an adapter for my 1st stage to connect to a DIN valve?

din vales have a male connection on the first stage that screws into the valve on the tank. It is a more secure fitting, and used to be neccesary for high pressure tanks. Yoke fittings can be knocked off the tank if you hit them hard enough. you need an adapter or convert your first stage to din, using an adapter gets you none of the advantages, because you still have the yoke fitting

They also come in 5 thread 232 BAR and 7 thread 300 BAR varieties.

The shorter 232 BAR DIN valves can be used with a insert to accommodate a regulator yoke while the longer 300 BAR DIN valves cannot. The longer 300 BAR valve was designed to prevent a shorter 232 BAR connection from sealing in the valve which prevents the use of regulators not certified for use at 300 BAR (4350 psi).

I was wondering because I was sold tanks with DIN valves on the which are more expensive the yoke valves. Now from what I have read I beleive this is the 232 valves with the inserts so that I can put on my yoke regs.

So if I get this correctly the newer regs come with a DIN screw type connection?

In Cebu and around that part of the world, DIN fittings might be hard to come by since the aluminum 80 is the standard unit-of-issue for scuba tanks and substitutes for currency occasionally. That said, I have totally converted from yoke to DIN since my wife already had DIN. I like the DIN screw-in feature, although at night, I cannot see the threads to save my life.

cebudiver:
I was wondering because I was sold tanks with DIN valves on the which are more expensive the yoke valves. Now from what I have read I beleive this is the 232 valves with the inserts so that I can put on my yoke regs.

So if I get this correctly the newer regs come with a DIN screw type connection?

Unless specified you are likely to get a yoke first stage. In some cases they are always supplied as yoke and the dealer repleces the connector with the DIN version.

The ThermoK Pro valve shich sounds llike the valve you describe is a nice unit.

If your regulator is DIN you will run your cylinders as DIN. When you travel you will almost certainly need to dive yoke cylinders and for this you will need an adapter. The same is true if you rent extra cylinders for a big weekend. As long as the majority of your diving is on your own cylinders DIN is the better way to go.

Pete

DIN...or as is so eloquently put by the krauts..DIN....and they love it.

One of the better inventions of the Germans....and in our world of diving..

IT IS THE BETTER INVENTION....compared to A clamp or yoke.

DIN gear, if you configure correctly, can handle much higher pressures and is by far much safer and superior for many reasons.

On the downside, it's a bit more difficult to handle at the beginning of your diving life so instructors tend to opt for simple things for the students, which is fair enough..unless you're BSAC.

As you get older, that yoke first stage you got you start to spit on because it no longer offers the security of pressure you demand at 330 bar and in that tight OHE worrying about losing the yoke with a bang .....you no longer can dive with mediocrity in the extreme.

In any case, don't trust me.....think about it.

You can always get a converter for the gay dive shops but you cannot go gay to normally secured dive operatrions with DIN.

Go DIN and buy a converter but don't slag off dive shops with a clamp gear because it's YOUR FAULT....let's vote....

boogey

DIN...or as is so eloquently put by the krauts..DIN....and they love it.

One of the better inventions of the Germans....and in our world of diving..

IT IS THE BETTER INVENTION....compared to A clamp or yoke.

DIN gear, if you configure correctly, can handle much higher pressures and is by far much safer and superior for many reasons.

On the downside, it's a bit more difficult to handle at the beginning of your diving life so instructors tend to opt for simple things for the students, which is fair enough..unless you're BSAC.

As you get older, that yoke first stage you got you start to spit on because it no longer offers the security of pressure you demand at 330 bar and in that tight OHE worrying about losing the yoke with a bang .....you no longer can dive with mediocrity in the extreme.

In any case, don't trust me.....think about it...why would you...I use DIN...I am biased...

You can always get a converter for the gay dive shops but you cannot go gay to normally secured dive operatrions with DIN.

Go DIN and buy a converter...you can then do what you want where you want....

boogey

PS. Sorry for using the word gay...in this context it means CHEERFUL

Back
Top Bottom