DIN valve cover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolbersen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Tank or DIY section...

So I'm looking for a cap for my DIN tanks. I know you can get the screw in kind from various web sites for about $9 each. I've read good and bad points on this style: they keep the water / dirt in, on the other hand they keep it out, etc.

I'm pretty sure I want one of these for my two DIN tanks, but before I go off and order a pair I was wondering if anybody had some DIY goodness to suggest?

Not DIY, but don't buy the black plastic plugs. There have been several reported cases on the internet where the things blow out of the valves with great force and cause some damage if you accidentally turn the air on while they're in.

Spend the extra $$ and get steel ones.

netmage, a member here, ran a deal here to get a bulk order of the SS ones. I got 2, they are very high quality. It might be worth sending him a pm to find out about them.

mossym:
netmage, a member here, ran a deal here to get a bulk order of the SS ones. I got 2, they are very high quality. It might be worth sending him a pm to find out about them.
If you can't get in on a group buy, you can still get them individually from dinplugs.com . The only point of note is to be sure you have a nice wrench on hand in case you accidentally open your valve.

I face death every day ---> I just use the plastic DIN plugs. With those stainless steel plugs, which are gorgeous works of art in themselves, I figure it's just a matter of time until someone who just stuck on the valve face turns the gas on and blows a .72-caliber stainless steel-DIN plug hole in his head.

Tom Winters:
I face death every day ---> I just use the plastic DIN plugs. With those stainless steel plugs, which are gorgeous works of art in themselves, I figure it's just a matter of time until someone who just stuck on the valve face turns the gas on and blows a .72-caliber stainless steel-DIN plug hole in his head.
Do you worry about your reg blowing off into your head every time you turn your air on?

I would be FLOORED if that EVER happened.

Tom Winters:
I too live dangerously, apparently. I have the plastic plugs, and they work fine. I must have a special kind, though, cuz mine will actually let air through them if you turn the valve on through a one way air release valve thingy (sorry if I lost anyone with all the technical jargon here).

I have turned on the air while my black plastic DIN covers were screwed in. There was some type of pressure valve I'm assuming, because no plastic flying objects were formed. These plugs were pretty cheap too, definently under $10 at my LDS.

The Delrin plugs are supposed to be a dust cover, i.e. something to keep crap out of the valve orfice.

Now lets put a large enough hole through the plug so air can escape with out creating a crotch height, high velocity missle.

This same hole now permits crap to reach the very same orfice we thought were protecting.

Make the hole smaller you say, or eliminate the hole. Back to a dangerous potential pneumatic gun.

The real answer is SS as made by dinplugs.com, really nice stuff.

I recently had occasion to ship my lp85 doubles over to Avalon. I had the SS plug installed, hand tight. I bird dogged them as much as possible, but between the Express and the Catalina Baggage company I could not always be present.

When I went to use them, guess what? Both plugs were tight! (Remember the 8" cresent wrench) Somebody had managed to turn on both posts just humping them around.

Regards,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom