din to yoke adapters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacek

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
is there any difference in the make of the din to yoke adapter you use? is a generic no name $20 adapter just as good as say a $50 apeks or a zeagle ? thanks

As far as I know from the adapters I've bought and installed on my regs there are differances in the ways they attach to the reg. The thread size that screws into the first stage as well as the O-ring that seals the adapter are different between manufactures and, for example, a Scuba Pro adapter may not fit a Mares reg. Other then that I haven't seen any differance in the construction of the part that secures to the tank valve.

Padipro:
... The thread size that screws into the first stage as well as the O-ring that seals the adapter are different between manufactures and, for example, a Scuba Pro adapter may not fit a Mares reg.
It sounds like you're describing a DIN or yoke fitting rather than an adapter.

I'd think that an adapter would look to the reg as a DIN tank valve and to the tank as a yoke reg.

Code:
DIN-Reg  <=> DIN-to-Yoke-Adapter <=> Yoke-Valve

A fitting would change the DIN-reg into a Yoke-reg.

-Rob

I believe you're talking about the adapter and not the conversion kit.
The adapter has 1 thing that I would really check out. I have a DIN adapter I use and my regs are 300 bar din, when I use the adapter they don't thread in all the way because it is a 232 bar adapter. This doesn't affect anything because I don't use high pressure, but the style of reg 1st stage, sherwood maximus, ends up pushing into the back of my head a little. I have been meaning to check out other din adapters to see if I could find one that wouldn't put the 1st stage so far from the tank valve, but I doubt I will beable to make find one to make much difference.
If you have a first stage that has the low pressure swivel on the bottom you would probably be fine with anything.
And I seriously doubt you would ever notice any difference in quality in any of them, it is a very simple device that has very little to mess up.

You are correct sir. My mistake, I thought we were talking about the fitting that converts your reg from yoke to DIN.

My question is this...Why even buy an adapter to convert your reg back to a yoke when it's so easy to just remove the DIN adapter and reinstall the original yoke fitting on the first stage? I've done this several times when going on vacation and having to rent tanks that only have a yoke style valve on them. I just carry the original yoke fitting in my Save-a-Dive kit along with the appropiate wrenches and make the swap right there on the dock. It's not hard to do, it saves me from getting the back of my head banged up from the first stage and the money I saved, by not buying the adapter, paid for another dive trip.

Just my .02 cents.

Padipro:
You are correct sir. My mistake, I thought we were talking about the fitting that converts your reg from yoke to DIN.

My question is this...Why even buy an adapter to convert your reg back to a yoke when it's so easy to just remove the DIN adapter and reinstall the original yoke fitting on the first stage?

the metal on the 1st stage seems very soft, so I'm afraid that if I do it often it will eventually break..

To answer your question, you should have no trouble using a less expensive adapter vs the more expensive ones.
When you change out the actual fittings themselves, by rights you should be putting a new o-ring in too.
Your 1st stage body will probably be made out of brass, so don't over tighten.

How often do you intend to change them out? If this is something that you're going to be doing on a weekely basis why even convert to DIN in the first place? The metal in the first stage is usually chrome plated brass so it is soft. If you don't intend to change out the fittings often there shouldn't be a problem, even if you do change them say once a month or so, as long as you're careful threading the everything together and don't crank on them to hard, again it shouldn't be a problem.

jacek:
is there any difference in the make of the din to yoke adapter you use? is a generic no name $20 adapter just as good as say a $50 apeks or a zeagle ? thanks
Yes, the only real difference I have seen is the material. ScubaPro has one that is made of a lightweight alloy, which is a little easier if you're traveling with it.

Back
Top Bottom