Din to Yoke adapter for Calypso Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the conversions are all essentially the same as an FYI but you have to be comfortable removing the yoke and din screws and have to pay attention to get them back under the right torque so they don't spin out unintentionally. That is what I do personally if I'm going somewhere for an extended period of time and have to dive with yoke tanks, but normally I'll just rotate the tank so the first stage is not directly behind my head.

I only mentioned this because on the Atomic the conversion is easily reversible, and the adaptor solution, which I lived with for 25 dives , was a real pain in the neck. Anyways, I hope that all goes well.

I hope you did not think I was being snarky in my response...I truly tried my best to not come off that way because I appreciated the response. My understanding about the Calypso regulator is that it comes in either DIN or Yoke but there is no conversion kit for this specific regulator from what I have found. I also am under the impression that threading and unthreading the parts of a brass device such as a 1st stage is not the best thing for the device. The brass 1st stage is more than likely softer than the parts being threaded into it which means if a part becomes damaged during any of the occasions to switch it back and forth between DIN and Yoke via conversion, it will most likely be the 1st stage. That is why I would rather use an adapter for the few times that DIN valved bottles are not available.

Cheers,
-Zef

that part has to come out every time it gets serviced, and the din and yoke components are also made out of chrome plated brass...

The parts are available, whether it is a kit or the shop has to purchase the two parts independently, it doesn't matter.

If you so choose, the part numbers are as follows
106843 or 124611 *first is satin, second is chrome
124555 *this is optional as it is just the dust cap*

the conversions are all essentially the same as an FYI but you have to be comfortable removing the yoke and din screws and have to pay attention to get them back under the right torque so they don't spin out unintentionally. That is what I do personally if I'm going somewhere for an extended period of time and have to dive with yoke tanks, but normally I'll just rotate the tank so the first stage is not directly behind my head.

Yeah, this is not so much the issue for me. I have no problem with removing the Yoke and DIN parts as I just recently changed my Mares MR22 back to yoke. I am well equipped tool-wise to do the job as I have sets of both beam and click type torque wrenches to properly tighten the DIN fittings. The issue is more about availability and convenience. I don't believe there is a conversion kit available for the Calypso, and while I love fiddling around in the garage with tools, my wife does not...so it just would not be convenient for her to swap the parts should I not be available to do it for her (think deployments, etc). Using an adapter would just be plain convenient and tool free for her.

We bought this regulator set from our LDS at a very attractive price...we paid 164 Euros total: 144 Euros the 1st stage, second stage, and octo, and another 20 Euros for a LP hose for the BC power inflater. The price was so good that we did not bother to look that it was not rated to 300bar...which to be honest is not really a big deal except for the confusion when purchasing the yoke adapter...the shop thought I was buying it specifically for my MR22...they said had they known I was intending to use it with the Calypso they would have mentioned it would not work.

Also, to be honest, until this issue came up I had no idea there were two different DIN standards for SCUBA...it wasn't until we were moved to Europe that we ever even learned about DIN regulators and valves. We have always rented gear in the past and it always came yoke. Now that we have purchased our own gear lots of little things have become relevant.

that part has to come out every time it gets serviced, and the din and yoke components are also made out of chrome plated brass...

The parts are available, whether it is a kit or the shop has to purchase the two parts independently, it doesn't matter.

If you so choose, the part numbers are as follows
106843 or 124611 *first is satin, second is chrome
124555 *this is optional as it is just the dust cap*

Thanks...will look into this.

Thank you all for the great advice. I was able to pick up another yoke adapter that is rated for both 200 bar and 300 bar DIN and interfaces perfectly with the Calypso 1st stage.

I checked into the parts listed by tbone1004 and found a website (scubaspares.com) that had the individual parts for what I thought were surprisingly affordable prices...but collectively they added up to more than the adapter. It is nice to know that spares...even for the body of the 1st stage can be affordably purchased.

Using the adapter, when necessary, with the DIN setup just seems to us the overall best option when considering convenience, ease of use, and limiting wear & tear on the threads in the body of the first stage.

All the responses and the associated reading I have done has been a great help in solving this issue.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
-Zef

Just curious, what was the organisation that had tanks that could not accomodate a DIN first stage. Never happened to me :wink:

We had some friends come back from Thailand recently and they had issues with no DIN bottles available. The upcoming area of concern is Malapascua Island in the Philippines...I am not sure of the name of the company/organization we are using but our friend who is organizing the trip details has spoken with them and he was told that there supply of DIN bottles is very limited so divers should come prepared with either a yoke type regulator or with a DIN to yoke adapter.

My understanding is DIN is hard to come by throughout southeast asia...if we are wrong it won't hurt to travel with an adapter as a backup, if the info we have is correct it will save us the frustration of having to figure out alternatives during the trip.

-Zef

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom