DIN Retainer stuck...and i mean really stuck !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I did not think a pic would help. Color me very wrong.

Bases on the 3 grooves in the saddle, that reg is a Mk20 that has not had the recall modification done (Scubapro® Recalls MK 20 Scuba Regulators for Service | CPSC.gov). I'm not sure the recall applies outside the USA, but if you wait until it is back in the states, you should be able to get your USA Scubapro dealer to replace both the din retainer and the saddle. I can also see that it is 200bar din rather than 300bar. It is very hard to find 200 bar din in the USA so they will probably have to convert it to 300 bar in order to do the recall modification (or try to leave a 200 bar wheel flopping around on a 300 bar retainer). A local SP shop converted my 200 bar din Mk20 that I had purchased from Leisurepro to 300 bar. I liked the shallower 200 bar setup but they could not get an upgraded retainer from Scubapro USA.

Stick with hot water for a heat source. An oven or torch will drive water from the threads making the problem worse if it is deposits.

Also, if it has a brass piston, you will want to change that out to the current composite piston. That brass piston just does not hold IP very long. A brass piston would suggest it is more like 15 years old.

Reactions: Jax
And I did not think a pic would help. Color me very wrong.

Bases on the 3 grooves in the saddle, that reg is a Mk20 that has not had the recall modification done.

I think most of the earlier MK25's came with the three slot saddle. It was not necessary to change to the two slot saddle because no MK25's were shipped with the old style DIN bolt. It is difficult to tell from the photos but it may just be a shadow making the OP's DIN look like a 200 BAR.

As far as i know it is an early mk25, i'll post more pictures after the reassembly.
How could i know if it is a 200 or 300 bar DIN ?

As far as i know it is an early mk25, i'll post more pictures after the reassembly.
How could i know if it is a 200 or 300 bar DIN ?

The pressure rating should be marked inside the din wheel. I put my Mk20 in the same orientation as your picture and I can count 5 threads visible above the wheel. I only see 3 threads in your picture. The 200 bar and 300 bar versions differ in the length of the din wheel threads by 2 threads. I'm not sure the 200 bar version came the the USA market except for some gray market sources.

If the seat retainer takes a large hex wrench and has an external IP adjuster, it is probably a Mk25. A round seat retainer that takes an allen wrench for removal would be the Mk20. Parts are interchangeable between the Mk20 and the Mk25 so it can be difficult to tell. I suppose a dealer can tell from the service number. I have seen pictures of early Mk25s with the old style saddle.

The only difference between the MK20 and MK25 other than cosmetics is the composite piston and the adjustable seat retainer (see photos). The 300 BAR DIN as more threads than the 200 BAR.

IMG_5152.jpgIMG_5157.jpgIMG_5150.jpg

Newer model Mk20s had the composite piston. I believe the switch occurred around 2001.

Double checked, the DIN wheel has 5 threads visible above the wheel. Composite Piston and external IP adjuster which more than likely make him an old mk25.

DIN Retainer... released !!! After days of soaking, hot and water treatment, this morning i was quite sleepy and i tried to unscrew it the wrong way. When i realized , i tried the other way and BOUM the retainer was released. The threads look in good shape, i am rebuilding it and i'll give him a try on the swimming pool next week. Thanks to everyone for your insights !!! May the force be with you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom