DIN regulators with adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flycaster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Shopping for a reg. I noticed many of the brand new stuff come configured in DIN and includdd in the package there is a threaded yoke adapter.
I like the idea of having both tank connections as an option.
My concern is when using this adapter does it make for less clearance between the reg. and the back of your head or present any other concern? I have always been Leary of adapters,etc.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Shopping for a reg. I noticed many of the brand new stuff come configured in DIN and includdd in the package there is a threaded yoke adapter.
My concern is when using this adapter does it make for less clearance between the reg. and the back of your head or present any other concern? I have always been Leary of adapters,etc.

it does move the reg closer to the back of your head. About an inch more than a DIN tank, about 2 inches more than a straight yoke reg. Most operators these days have convertible valves that you can request.

No concerns other than clearance. It is technically one extra O-ring, but DIN o-rings don't really ever fail, they just get lost

The DIN to yoke adapter does place the reg closure to your head, as tbone has stated. All you need to do is adjust the BCD on your tank up a little bit to align the valve/first stage with your neck instead of the back of your head. How far the first stage sticks out from the valve will depend on the type of reg. Some regs, such as the Mk2, Calypso, Oasis, Brawn, R2S, XS2 style regulators will stick out more than others.

A lot of divers around here use DIN and use the adapter while traveling. None complain about it hitting the back of their head.

There are two types of adapters, one solid piece and the other has swivel. Both will do the job well. The one with the swivel is much nicer to use, although it is much more expensive. It is worth the cost though.

I have used the adapters and it absolutely does move the tank closer to your head. For me it's very uncomfortable. It also negates all advantages of DIN connections.

Please buy a regulator that fits the tanks you will be using most often. If that is yoke fitted tanks, buy a yoke regulator. You will be saving yourself a big pain in the neck, literally! If you want access to both DIN and yoke tanks on a regular basis, it's far better to either have two first stages or a DIN/yoke conversion kit, not an adapter, for your first stage.

If you are primarily diving DIN tanks and occasionally using yoke, the adapters do work. How much of a bother they are depends on how high and close you like to have the tank mounted. IMO, moving the tank down from where you want it just to increase clearance behind your head is not a good solution, as it affects your trim and access to the valve.

It does move the reg closer to your head. Whether it is a problem and how well the workarounds work will vary depending on your particular body shape and the BC you use. The adapters work fine for me but that is not true for everyone.

The other drawback of the adapter is that if you need it but left it at home or on the last boat or whatever then you have a problem.

I used an adapter on my Atomic DIN regulator and it was an unworkable solution for the reason stated above. I had it converted to a standard yoke configuration.

I only own DIN regs. I have a DIN-to-yoke adapter and have needed to use it only a very small number of times. Almost every rental tank I've gotten (Mexico or Hawaii) I have been able to get with a DIN (or DIN/Yoke convertible) valve. I do make a point of calling ahead and booking my dives with dive operators where I check for that when I am decided who to book with.

I wear my tank where the valve is behind my lower neck, not behind my head. The adapter puts the 1st stage closer to the back of my neck, not the back of my head. So, when I am in horizontal trim and I look ahead (i.e. my neck is making a 90 degree angle, as if I were standing on land and looking straight up), the 1st stage is not any closer to my head with a yoke adapter than if I had it attached to a DIN valve.

I don't have a single moment of regret from buying DIN 1st stages.

However, my buddy that was planning to borrow 2 of my tanks once definitely had some regret over having a yoke 1st stage. All my tanks are older PST HP steels and they all have 300 bar DIN valves. I can use my DIN regs on any tank anywhere, pretty much. There is no way to use a yoke 1st stage on a 300 bar DIN valve, so my buddy was out of luck that day and had to scurry to go rent some AL80s for the day.

A lot of divers around here use DIN and use the adapter while traveling. None complain about it hitting the back of their head.

Is this maybe just a "Montana thing?"

All my regs/tanks are DIN. I have a yoke adapter for travel when DINs aren't available. The yoke adapter works great, no problems at all when it's necessary.

Back
Top Bottom