Din or Yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtroadking

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at my first reg purchase was wondering if there were any advantages between using Din or Yoke on the first stage. Any advices would be greatly apprecated.

Just starting,
mtroadking

we have converted our regs and tanks to Din, mainly so we can take advantage of our supersteel tanks and get bigger air/nitrox fills.

only prob with having Din regs is when you travel as most tanks use yoke so we carry a din/yoke adapter for this or just take a yoke set of regs (we have about 6 sets of regs)

cheers

Yoke is easier to get hold of, but then an adapter works just fine. DIN is more easily available in Europe and is highly favored by the tech crowd as it provides less of an entanglement hazard.

If you buy DIN, you get a stronger connection and higher PSI rating. If you get DIN and still want to use yoke tanks, you can buy a convertor for $35-$75 bucks, depending on brand, local shop, etc. DIN regualtors typically don't cost more or much more than Yoke regulators.

If you buy Yoke, it's not as strong and you can't "convert" back to DIN to use the bigger tnaks. You can however on some DIN tanks put a yoke converter in it, but typically only on the lower PSI tanks.

i would recomend din, with a yoke adapter, this way you can use your reg any where in the world with any type of tank steel or aluminum, yoke or din.

most yoke regs CAN be converted to din but it depends on brand, scuba pro, tusa, oceanic etc. can all be adapted.

hope this helps

if you plan to rent tanks a lot in the U.S. or the Caribbean, you will be faced with
a yoke valve in the tanks. thus, you either bring a yoke regulator or a DIN regulator
with an adaptor so you can use it on a yoke valve.

mike_s:
If you buy Yoke, it's not as strong and you can't "convert" back to DIN to use the bigger tnaks. You can however on some DIN tanks put a yoke converter in it, but typically only on the lower PSI tanks.

That information is simply wrong. I have yoke connections on my Scuba Pro regulator and can easily convert it to DIN for $50. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/SCPDC3.html

Most tanks today come set up for yoke and all you have to do is remove the inner fitting and it is now DIN. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/thermo.shtml

There is nothing wrong with yoke connections and this has been discussed over and over. The Tech guys will use nothing but DIN. 95% of the divers in the US use yoke. I always have my tanks pumped to their maximum pressure of 3400+ and use yoke myself.

Edit: Haha you guys beat me to it. Guess I spent too much time reading some of the other threads going before I came back to this one.

Peter_C:
Most tanks today come set up for yoke and all you have to do is remove the inner fitting and it is now DIN. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/thermo.shtml

in my experience, most rental tanks in the US and the Caribbean
are straight yoke, and won't convert to DIN without a separate converter which you must provide, such as this one:

http://www.aqualung.com/products/din_to_yoke.html

the exception (in my experience) is the cave-country tanks here in Florida.
they are almost always DIN and you need a screw-in adapter to use
yoke regs.

If you buy yoke
You'll find it's a joke.
Best buy DIN
To keep your reg in!

Seriously (moi?), it is easier to convert a DIN reg to yoke with a reasonably priced adaptor. With the yoke to DIN converters I've seen it is more difficult. I assume any reg you buy today will be rated for the potentially higher pressures of many DIN tanks (3,500 psi). Both my primary tanks are DIN (one HP and one intermediate pressure at 3,300 psi). I have a yoke reg for my pony bottles and for travel.

I dove yoke for the first 35 years and then DIN for the last 10. Now I dive DIN all the time unless I'm travelking. I've never had a blown o-ring with my DIN equipment (have had several with yoke). Based on that, I'd have to disagree with Peter C.

I assume your tank valves have both. Of course that assumes you already have your own tanks.

However, if you dive a lot with rental gear you'll find yoke is far more available. The adaptor comes in handy then.

I didn't state it but yes both drbill and H2andy are correct in that you need an adapter unless you own your own tanks. I was posting in regards to this "You can however on some DIN tanks put a yoke converter in it, but typically only on the lower PSI tanks." which gives the opinion that a tank valve upon purchase can not be changed around. After all we are talking about purchasing "new" equipment, and the tanks come just like the link I posted.

Question, since I have considered buying the adaptor I would need to switch to yoke, (I will agree it is much stronger) since the quality of o-rings has been vastly improved have you heard of yoke o-ring failures not resulting from poor assembly?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom