Dimmable HID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DutchDown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's time for me to consider a new light, so naturally I've been reading the posts here and looking at manufacturers websites but what puzzles me is that none of them appear to offer a dimmable HID light. Do they even exist? There may well be reasons why it's not possible to make a dimmable HID.

I ask because here in the Netherlands, I would use the brightest light I can afford, but when I travel to the Red Sea, for instance, the HIDs I've seen used on night dives were entirely too bright. I'd like to find just one light which I could use both places.

Any suggestions would certainly be hslpful.

Phil

I think at least one manufacturer has a light that can use two brightness settings. I think Sartek has a 10w/21w or something similar.

fluffy_the_octopus:
HID's by their nature aren't dimmable.

I was wondering about that. Makes sense considering that dimmable halogen lights have been around forever. I guess if manufacturers could make a dimmable HID, they would.

Phil

fluffy_the_octopus:
The Sartek light (which are very good btw) have 2 bulbs for the low beam & high beam.

HID's by their nature aren't dimmable.
You might be confusing the Princetec lights- I think the Sartek lights have one bulb, but a switchable ballast.

After doing more searching, it appears that only Sartek and Metalsub make switchable HIDs. Any ideas why more manufacturers don't make them? Perhaps the market is too small. Guess I'd like to have a "one-size-fits-all" light. I like the durability of the Metalsub and I live about 10 miles from the factory, but the switchable model, the HID200 is entirely too powerful for my needs. The low power setting on the Sartek is also a bit too much, in my opinion, for a night dive in good viz on a coral reef. Maybe I should consider a LED light such as Solus.

Thanks for all your help!
Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom