35 Watt Salvo HID not focused enough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So the primary light that I've been using for the past few years has been a 35w Salvo HID. The beam is bright but the hotspot is huge; its more of a 3-5ft bright smudge rather than a tight 1ft beam. I have a friend that has a 21w Salvo that has a fantastic, tight beam. I already replaced the reflector and cleaned the inside of the test tube. Is there anything else I can do?

You have adjusted the tube depth in the reflector already? That is how you focused the HID lights. Slide it in and out of the reflector until you get the light pattern you want.

You have adjusted the tube depth in the reflector already? That is how you focused the HID lights. Slide it in and out of the reflector until you get the light pattern you want.
Yes, the beam is as tightly focused as the reflector housing will allow.

Yes, the beam is as tightly focused as the reflector housing will allow.
That is weird. Do you possibly have a video light reflector?

That is weird. Do you possibly have a video light reflector?

Weird indeed. I bought this reflector thinking it would fix the issue (it didn't): 10.300.003-Reflector for Goodman

Its not like.... video light or flood light broad. But it definitely isn't modern 1-2ft beam laser-like. Its more like a bright, blue, 4 ft hot spot. It works well in caves and it does ok signaling teammates but its not what it should be.

I wonder if it's possible that the bulb and reflector are not matched well for size. That's just a wild guess. If you can get someone at LM on the phone then they might have an answer for you. If you have to send them the lighthead at least you're not mailing a big lithium battery.

I had a LM 21W HID light, it's still my favorite in terms of color and focus. Tough to keep them working, though, and it's always a stress-fest traveling with them.

1675525196349.png

Light head for reference

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom