Digital Music Studio Info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
My son is about to have a birthday and he wants a program to record and mix music on a laptop. Not sure what to get him.

I have a Mac G4 450 meg laptop that I can pass on to him. It looks as if "Garage Studio" needs just a bit more power.

If we went with a PC what programs do we need to consider and what kind of requirements does the PC need?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know much about mixing and recording. I plan on using OTSTurntable from OTSDJ (otsdj.com for doing more like radio station/dj stuff. I don't know if it has what you may be looking for or not.

Good luck.

For a very comprehensive, and probably totally overblown answer, I'd suggest you go here and poke around.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

What I suggest for PC is that you get some kind of audio interface that comes with software. I use a Lexicon Omega, which you can get from www.musiciansfriend.com for about $300. It includes an interface that allows you to record up to 4 tracks simultaneously using mic cable or 1/4" instrument cables, and also comes with recording software that you can record and mix 24 tracks with. It hooks to the computer via USB.

On top of the PC and the audio interface and software, you really need a decent set of headphones and to mix properly you need some kind of decent sounding set of speakers to listen on. For several years I used a shelf stereo system and that worked well enough.

You can just buy a $100 software package by Cakewalk or somebody and use the computer's internal soundcard, but there is a little bit latency when you do that, which means that stuff gets out of synch pretty bad sometimes. It drove me batty until I bought the audio interface.

As far as PC requirements, audio is huge resource hog. I'd suggest at least 1.5 ghz processor and about 1 gb or more of RAM. Also, you want a huge, fast hard drive. For a three minute song with 8 tracks, you can easily use a gb or more of hard disk space. My computer is a 2.6 ghz Pentium 4 with 1.5 gb RAM and 160 gb hard drive. I can usually get 16 stereo tracks with effects without bogging my computer down too much.

OE2X:
I have a Mac G4 450 meg laptop that I can pass on to him. It looks as if "Garage Studio" needs just a bit more power.

Don't rush out and get a PC. Your G4 will work fine. Like in the graphics world, the Mac has the edge with music software.

Check out Deck or Peak from Bias http://www.bias-inc.com/products/deck/
Both will run on you Mac.

For mixing, ProTools is the "pro" tool of choice. You can download a free limited feature version from http://www.digidesign.com/download/ Look for ProTools LE.

CuBase, Digital Performer and many more are out there. Look at your needs and budget. Your best bet is to visit your local music store and tell them what you are running (processor, memory, OS, etc) and your budget. They will guide you to a solution.

I agree that Mac does have the edge over PC.

However, I also think that the audio interface makes or breaks a home studio.

Back
Top Bottom