Digital Focus - huh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hairyshark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, so I have been trying to learn how to take better pics with my DC1400 (without strobe or video light). In the settings for the camera, there is a feature called "digital focus".

When using the auto features, this is turned off. The only thing the sealife manual says is to turn it off or on, not really what it is or when to use it. When reading an ibook about underwater photography, from sealife, it said turn it off as well.

So what is it for and when do you use it?

I'm not seeing any reference to "digital focus" in my camera settings or manual. Did you mean "digital zoom"?

Ok, so I have been trying to learn how to take better pics with my DC1400 (without strobe or video light). In the settings for the camera, there is a feature called "digital focus".

When using the auto features, this is turned off. The only thing the sealife manual says is to turn it off or on, not really what it is or when to use it. When reading an ibook about underwater photography, from sealife, it said turn it off as well.

So what is it for and when do you use it?

Gotta be 'Digital Zoom' ... As for your question? Never, ever!! Still on my old Reefmaster Mini(DigiZoom only), so for me, 'zoom' means simply getting closer to the object ...

If it is digital zoom you are referring to, as Arubandi said, NEVER use it. It goes beyond the optical zoom by expanding the pixels and decreasing resolution. Same effect as cropping a photo. Contrary to what episodes of CSI would like us to believe, you can't digitally zoom an image and keep the same image quality.

If it is digital zoom you are referring to, as Arubandi said, NEVER use it. It goes beyond the optical zoom by expanding the pixels and decreasing resolution. Same effect as cropping a photo.
Actually it's worse than just cropping. It's more like cropping and then rescaling/resizing to original resolution.

If it is digital zoom you are referring to, as Arubandi said, NEVER use it. It goes beyond the optical zoom by expanding the pixels and decreasing resolution. Same effect as cropping a photo. Contrary to what episodes of CSI would like us to believe, you can't digitally zoom an image and keep the same image quality.

The way I see it, one of those features that are totally useless, and really just designed to make someone who doesn't know any better, go "Wow!! 5x optical, 5x digital ... that's impressive, must be a good cam!!"

Oops, I think you're correct, my apologies.

---------- Post added August 14th, 2013 at 05:09 PM ----------

Thank you all so much for the information. One less thing to worry about is good! Appreciate it!!!
04.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom