"Digital Film" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what is the camera you are using?

plus from the cameras i have used i know that smart media and XD media are two different sizes and cant be put in the same slot (XD is thicker, by double of a SM card)

also below this my opinon but shared by alot of people.

microdrives are nice but the are highly unreliable and are prone to failure (IE attitude to high or air compressed from being in a housing) also the slightest knock and they are destroied.

for more information go to this website and look up the horror stories from MD's www.dpreview.com and go to the forums and do a search.

i would personally not put all of my eggs in one basket, and i only use CF cards and the largest i have and will ever buy is a 512. if one of the does go bad i can easily recover most of the files with several utilities to recover them.

FWIW

I just bought myself a 128MB xD card this weekend to supplement my 384MB CF.. That should be enough for a weeks worth of vacation.. I can always delete the really crappy shots while I;m there...
The xD media has some neat features... You can turn on panorama mode on the C5050. I took a tripod down to Niagara Falls for some night panorama shots.. They turned out awesome.. The camera will actually display guide lines on the LCD to help you line things up. The Camedia will automatically stitch the images together.. The result is amazing.. Be prepared for some very larege files.. I had a 12000 x 1900 picture after cropping..
I'd post it, but its huge..
On another note.. Olympus sells an adapter card so you can use the xD media in a CF reader..Its C$95.. The USB xD reader (which also read SM) is only C$65... Easy choice.. get the reader.. strange pricing policy..

Scubatooth once bubbled...
what is the camera you are using?
plus from the cameras i have used i know that smart media and XD media are two different sizes and cant be put in the same slot (XD is thicker, by double of a SM card)
FWIW

I'm using an Olympus C5050, and yes even though the xD and SM cards are not the same size they do fit into the same slot in the camera. One just fills a different part of the slot than the other. You just can't have them in at the same time. You can, however, have a CF card or microdrive in with the xD or SM card.

I have read conflicting threads on other boards, both praising and panning the microdrive. As I will be using this camera both underwater and at altitude 12-13,000 ft. I think that the 512mb CF cards are the way to go for me. That will give me 150+ pics on the card and I can download/toss the shots after the dive.

Thanks for your input.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom