digicam/housing/strobe combo advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I'm looking to sell my nikon n70 SLR with Tamron 28-300 lens for a digicam, housing and strobe. Anyone have any advice for a nice, inexpensive setup? I'm looking for a 3megapixel minimun.

Olympus C-4040 (or 3040) with an Olympus PT-10 housing for $7-900. Add a Sea & Sea YS-90DXduo strobe for another $500. Add a couple 128mg SM cards, Smart charger with 1800NiMH rechargeable batteries and you have a jam up system for around $1500.

The good thing about the Olympus housing is you can delay purchasing an external strobe by using the internal flash. It's suitable for most applications. The 1.8 lens on the Oly C-xxxx series of camera is very light sensitive so you'll get shots with it that isn't possible without a flash on some other cameras.

I'm about to get me a digital UW (still-)set. At the moment I'm pondering either a Nikon 5000 or a Olympus 4040 - based set. (either that or eventually the new 5050). Checking (low end) Olympus prices here leave me with:

C4040 800$, PT-10 370$, YS-90DX 840$, Arm+Mount 200$. Cards, charger & batteries will bring me up to approx. 2500$. Which makes me think that it would be cheaper to buy the equipment in the US, shipping and taxes will still be a lot less than 1000$.

Dee, or anyone else, did you purchase your equipment online and if so what are reliable sources in the U.S.?

wcharz once bubbled...
...Dee, or anyone else, did you purchase your equipment online and if so what are reliable sources in the U.S.?

I bought my camera locally because they matched the online price. The strobe, housing and tray I bought from Allan at Underwater Digital. He's got some very good prices, complete packages, too. And I've found him excellent to do business with.

Many thanks Dee, I will check that out.

Genesis, I'm considering the 5050 too, I won't be hasty with my decision...

I've decided to get the Olympus C-730. It is the newest olympus digicam being released oct. 15. It is only 3.2 mp, but has a 10X optical zoom! equivalent to 28-380mm in 35mm. I've been accostomed to my 28-300 nikon SLR setup, so I don't want to go under anything that is 8X. they don't make a housing yet for the cam, but hopefully they will soon, considering they make olympus housings for their other cameras.

thanks for all the advice guys...:)

I wasn't all too hasty... well... maybe a tad, but they just reduced the C4040 at a local store and by now I'm the proud owner of one (for 665€ approx. 665$).

Now I just have to check the P&P costs for the UW-package at UnderwaterDigital and ... well yes ... and my savings account... :wink:

----
Oh btw... anyone in the central europe area want to buy a Nikon CP 885 almost new? :D

wcharz once bubbled...
I wasn't all too hasty... well... maybe a tad, but they just reduced the C4040 at a local store and by now I'm the proud owner of one (for 665€ approx. 665$).

Now I just have to check the P&P costs for the UW-package at UnderwaterDigital and ... well yes ... and my savings account... :wink:

----
Oh btw... anyone in the central europe area want to buy a Nikon CP 885 almost new? :D

You'll like the C-4040. You can get the PT-10 housing for $250us. One good thing about the Olympus combo is you can get started without having to have an external strobe. This is one of my first pictures taken with mine with no flash, external or internal.

aab.sized.jpg

For macro shots and those in shallow water, you can do very well without a strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom