Different Florida options- advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shmuggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been going to dive in Boynton Beach and Riviera Beach for years and am considering a change of pace. I love the reefs but dive with a buddy who likes to hunt lobster. Would either Key Largo, Marathon or Key West be a good option for both of us?

I used to hunt for lobster in Jupiter every Saturday AM during season when marine conditions and family obligations permitted. Once boat captains get to know you, they might provide a separate drop for you and your buddy on good lobster spots that are near the main reef. I wasn't a particularly good hunter, but always came back with 2 or 3. Good hunters limited out most of the time.

I have been going to dive in Boynton Beach and Riviera Beach for years and am considering a change of pace. I love the reefs but dive with a buddy who likes to hunt lobster. Would either Key Largo, Marathon or Key West be a good option for both of us?

The SEDAR numbers we use for rules don't lie..............90% of ALL the lobsters in Florida are caught in the Keys. But 6 per day is still 6 per day and bugs get bigger as you move farther north. Ever seen some of the monsters pulled out of Ft.Pierce and Jacksonville?

JDC has stopped doing the separate 'hunter drops' but you can still find the bugs by staying on top rather than working the ledge (everyone goes there so it gets hit rather hard). I've been using Florida Scuba Charters and Narcosis is another I will use on occasion as they will cater more to those looking to grab dinner. Both are in the WPB Riviera area just south of Jupiter. I just got back from opening week in Marathon - we got our limits each day but it was a bit more work than typically - lots of shorts as most keepers seemed to have been picked during mini and there were a lot of boats. We normally do the lower matacumbe area and have better (easier) results which i believe is simply a result of a lower boater population density.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom