Different cost of dives worldwide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Citizen

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,

Given how much difference there can be in what it costs to dive in different parts of the world, I'm interested in putting together a comparison table showing this.

I was very shocked to see a cost in Exuma, Bahamas of around USD 100 per dive. At the other end of the scale in Koh Tao, Thailand it is around USD 15; and in Dahab, Egypt around USD 18. These would all include short boat trips where needed, and weights and air.

Does anyone think that's a worthwhile exercise and/or has this been done already!?

French Polynesia around $110USD per two tank dive day or $90USD + in the better but less populated tuomoto archipeligo spots like Rangiroa depending on who you dive with - IMO the smaller french operators are way better than the two bigger operators. Bora Bora will whack their prices up to $115USD onwards when the cruise ships are in during high season.
Malaysia and Indonesia around the same as Tao, Vietnam from memory was about $12USD.
Papua New Guinea difficult to quantify because you just cant rock up and dive..its liveaboards or the few ''resorts''.
Australia - $110 USD on the west coast for two tank day out to Rottnest island.

Interested and may be able to contribute.

In Southern California it would vary depending on if you are shore diving, then it is the cost of a fill and maybe parking.
Boat charters can vary depending on what vessel you take like the big ferry or smaller fast boats and
where they take you, and for how long 2-3 or 4 tank dives.

Prices are so variable due to the many factors of providing a diving service.

5* 'Luxury' service where the equipment is prepared for you, there is cool/warm face towels and canapes after the dive vs. BYO service.

Fuel costs vary around the world- some countries are producers, some use a 'dirty' fuel not allowed in other countries. Distance to the sites- eg. NZ's White Island is 49km off shore requiring massive amounts of fuel.

Salaries vary- compare an Egyptian daily wage to an Australian daily.

Boat quality/speed/noise.

Making comparisons like this, it is important to compare apples to apples.

Hello,

Given how much difference there can be in what it costs to dive in different parts of the world, I'm interested in putting together a comparison table showing this.

I was very shocked to see a cost in Exuma, Bahamas of around USD 100 per dive. At the other end of the scale in Koh Tao, Thailand it is around USD 15; and in Dahab, Egypt around USD 18. These would all include short boat trips where needed, and weights and air.

Does anyone think that's a worthwhile exercise and/or has this been done already!?
This kinda thing need to be a bit more scientific than that. The cost will vary wildly between dive ops, dates and what offers you booked on. The cheapest option is quite often far from the best..

For example with ONE (reputable) dive op in Hurghada prices vary from €33,30 per dayboat to €55 per dayboat (2 dives, tanks, weight but no other gear included) depending on when, how many days you book and how you book. And thats before any potential special offers..
And then you have the option to go with different dive ops..

In Bonaire - it's less than $150 US a week Nitrox included - for all the shore dives you can do!

In Bonaire - it's less than $150 US a week Nitrox included - for all the shore dives you can do!

Yeah the frugal control freak in me may keep me returning there instead of elsewhere in the Caribbean for awhile or until I make it to the Pacific.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom