Differences in Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have spring straps on one pair of fins and that cheap plastic thing that attaches the spring to the fin broke so I made a replacement out of aluminum. On my second pair of fins I used doubled 1/4" bungy inside of a clear plastic tube. Both systems work well but I still keep a spare standard fin strap with me just in case.

Has anyone tried stretching the springs? Mine are a little tight and have given me callouses.

Has anyone tried stretching the springs? Mine are a little tight and have given me callouses.

You might be able to do that, but I'd recommend just going to the next size larger. I know that is a bummer, but I'd be afraid of over-stretching the spring and weakening it. Like any spring, they only have a limited amount of stretch-rebound, if you go past that point the spring stays stretched-out.

On the 2nd dive with my original set of spring straps I was careless, pulled hard at an odd angle to get one off quickly while trying to balance in a strong surge in chest-deep water (shore diving), and over-stretched it. I had to replace it. Now that I know that it is possible to over-stretch the springs, I'm a bit more careful in how I pull them on and off.

Good luck!

Take a look at the straps TUSA sells they seem pretty good the stub adapters are made of metal and they have stretch limiters.

Just don't get the Halcyon because the plastic clip on each side will break or shatter. They crack and then shatter where the two metal pins are driven through. Their warranty was as lacking as the price was high. The first pair broke on second use, the second set broke on the third use, Halcyon did not do anything for me on either. These were mounted to Jet Fins. I now have returned to the good old rubber straps on my old pair of Jets and made custom machined brass blocks for the other. Both of mine shattered, plastic is plastic, it breaks sooner or later.

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

N

I am curious about how those are made. What is grabbing the end of the spring on those? In other words if you crack the rest of that plastic off will the spring still be captured by the loop?

I have taken apart the spring strap I have (XS Scuba). There is a 'limiter' tied inside the spring. It is just some black string. I untied it from one of the spring loops and now my springs stretch more.

But as mentioned above overstretching the spring is probably not too good for it.

I don't think I can replace the spring straps on my medium DiveRite fins, and I'm afraid to try to take it apart. I'll try a little stretching on one first.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom