Differences in Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two years ago, I installed these fin straps on my Bio-Fins. At each attachment point I added a safety wire to prevent possible slippage of the buckle from the post. That required drilling some holes in the steel. Everything is solid and seems fool proof. I don't think that there is a wire or string inside the spring but it is hard to fathom anyone pulling on a spring that hard. Evidentally, someone does. The backing is a wide rubber pad with pull loop. They are really comfortable and convenient.

Attachments

• 103_0355.JPG
    103_0355.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 81
the internal line is a blessing & a problem.

The bad: It limits how far you can stretch them. This means that a change in boots can make a spring no longer fit.

The good: It limits how far you can stretch them. This means that you can't gorilla pull them until the end of the spring straightens enough to break free. This is more important with springs made from thinner diameter wire.

It seems to be rare, but springs DO break. If one breaks & there is a line in it, it may hang up on your foot long enough to allow you to catch the fin. Miss the grab in deep water, or at the end of the dive & no more tanks in the boat & you may well just be out the fin.

Anything can break but I was convinced that the plastic snap buckles were guaranteed to break. I don't know who came up with those things, the Europeans maybe. The Biofin had long trailing tag ends of rubber trailing behind the buckles. I could cut them off but I ended up just setting aside the contraptions. Those fins are old, purchased in 1999. The next set will be the C type with steel buckles secured with plates and bolts.

sorry, mine are delrin, not aluminum. I may make up a batch of AL ends, but need access to some tools that I don't own. The delrin I use is pretty tough, but it is plastic & could shatter. AL would eliminate that. But I don't have any yet.

I do have both clear PVC & heavy tubular nylon covering now. I just took my personal set apart & put some nylon on them, so I can see how well the color holds up over time & how the feel in use. All I could get in the size needed is red & bright yellow. I'd like to pick up some black if I can find it.

OK then, let's see, metal = gooder, delrin = good, blue H's cheap polycarbonate or acrylic whatever plastic = not so gooder.

N

FWIW, I am not aware of my ends ever breaking, with exception of in my home. I have managed to shatter one, but it took some doing & involved a vice & considerable determination :wink:

How much do you sell yours for? I would be interested if you find black nylon. :D

sorry, mine are delrin, not aluminum. I may make up a batch of AL ends, but need access to some tools that I don't own. The delrin I use is pretty tough, but it is plastic & could shatter. AL would eliminate that. But I don't have any yet.

I do have both clear PVC & heavy tubular nylon covering now. I just took my personal set apart & put some nylon on them, so I can see how well the color holds up over time & how the feel in use. All I could get in the size needed is red & bright yellow. I'd like to pick up some black if I can find it.

what fins? Jets are $40 for std lengths, $50 for long ones (usually only needed by rockboots & such), $44/$54 for ones to fit fins with posts like these:

bladeside.jpg

price includes priority mail domestic shipping.

I've had my Halcyon straps for three years, and they've been overstretched a whole bunch of times, and I've had no problems with them.

I do not enjoy endorsing Halcyon gear, but there has been no problem with my straps, or any of my buddies' straps. Maybe they had a bad bunch of plastic at some point, or maybe Nemrod does something uncivilized with his spring straps . . .

Wayward Sons' springs are a much better buy, though.

Back
Top Bottom