Differences in Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being a solo diver this kind of incident would be life or death. I don't use ponies, "octopus" or that kind of stuff but do know that I pay attention to small things that others would ignore or blow off.
Pesky

I would take pictures of the other one that broke but since it is laying on the bottom of the ocean somewheres I cannot. I am happy that yours have not yet broken, "yet" being the important consideration :wink:. Metal = GOOD, plastic= BAD.

N

I've had my Halcyon straps for three years, and they've been overstretched a whole bunch of times, and I've had no problems with them.

I do not enjoy endorsing Halcyon gear, but there has been no problem with my straps, or any of my buddies' straps. Maybe they had a bad bunch of plastic at some point, or maybe Nemrod does something uncivilized with his spring straps . . .

Wayward Sons' springs are a much better buy, though.

I don't think I will respond to your being "uncivilized" comment since the picture speaks for itself. This was a new item with only a couple of dives on it. Since I have equipment I have owned for longer than you have been alive and is still serviceable and I am known for festidious care for my gear, the failure was on the part of the spring strap, non myself. Sorry, Borg Lady in Black, you will have to try harder. N

Being a solo diver this kind of incident would be life or death. I don't use ponies, "octopus" or that kind of stuff but do know that I pay attention to small things that others would ignore or blow off.
Pesky

Once the plastic part crumbles off the spring is still connected to the fin by the loop around the pin. However, the loop then slides up and prys against the D ring. The D ring can be peened but it is stated as optional in the directions. I elected not to peen it should I want to remove the spring strap. The unpeened D ring unsnapped and the spring loop slipped free which I do not think would have happend had the plastic keeper not crumbled and shattered.

I wear a size 11 shoe, I use standard, ordinary 5MM semi soft sole boots. They are not bulky or unusual. I use a Jet XL and I think my straps were also either large or XL. In any case they were not tight or over stretched in any fashion. They were not exposed to any chemicals or fuel or other agents. They simply shattered at the driven pins and the plastic keeper crumbled away as is shown in my pictures. Nuff said, my last post on it. N

oms001Small.jpg

oms002Small.jpg

I don't know why those springs were invented in the first place. The crucial improvement is to replace any plastic components but those jets did not use plastic. The straps were secured with hog rings. Now, you all are telling me that the big footers need to place a string inside the spring. Heck, the important parts are the hooks or plates, and those neat rubber covers with grab tabs. The springs could just be replaced with speargun tubing. I don't care how big you are, you won't break or distort that stuff. The rubber "springs" should last at least 2-3 years. When the rubber eventually becomes tired, they could be replaced for about two bucks. Spearfishermen could show you all the neat stuff they have learned about custom work with rubber bands. They could answer practically any question that you have on that subject. Maybe I should submit this over at the DIY room.

Did you buy those from Charles at Gorilla Diving? He made a pair for my buddy and they look just like those.

Does he have a SB name? I bought them direct from the guy that makes them, for sure, but I couldn't find any of our PM correspondence from a couple of years ago to find out who it was. Just like everyone else from here that I have met in person or dealt with in any way, I know the Scubaboard name first and then the actual name. :) There are several that I don't know their real name anymore or never did in the first place.

I'd like to find out so I could give the guy due credit.

I happen to like the pull tab on my pair of spring straps. Makes it much easier to don and doff with dry gloves on. I have never felt uncomfortable pressure from the spring strap because of the rubber coating.

EZ Spring Grip-Tight Fin Strap, Black from LeisurePro.com

I also use these springstraps with my Jets. Two cautions:

1. This particular brand spring strap WILL overstretch if you "Gorilla pull" them at an odd angle... I'm on my second set because I did this accidently, but have not had a problem with the current set (because I pull them more carefully now that I know they are not indestructable).

2. Sizing: Be sure to measure the length from post-to-post with your foot & dive boot in your existing fin to determine the correct length spring strap... you'd think a large strap goes with a size large fin, etc., but this is often NOT the case. In my case, I have a size 13 foot and thick-soled dive boot, and use XXL Jets but size Medium spring straps... go figure. So you really do need to measure.

Good Luck!

I didn't realize how much I liked them until I had dove with them for a while & then had to use some fins that didn't have them.

OK, the weight diffeernce. XL Jets and XL Slipstreams, both with spring straps that I made.

Jets weight is 3.4 lbs per fin
OMS weight is 2.6 lbs per fin

making a net total difference of 1.6 lbs per pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom