Differences in Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ca_Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want to upgrade my SP Jet Fins to have spring straps. My LDS has them for $70 while I've seen others for 25 and up.

Is there a difference in them and any recommendations??

Greetings Ca Ghost. There are a few differences in spring straps but they all do the same thing! I currently have the snap in straps for my Twin Jets and the XS universal delux straps on my Rockets. Both are great and I would recomend either, just make sure you get the right size. I have had some issues with that as wet boots and dry boots are different. I really think though that you will love springs! I want to put them on all my fins, it makes it so much nicer and more durable. There are some really good threads here at SB about straps, I would encourage you to research a bit then experiment. I really feel the greratest benefit is donning and doffing. The XS's look amazing also but they are not cheap. They come with three different sets of mounts.
If you are a do it yourself guy, you can even make your own "custom" straps. Good luck and have fun! CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I second the recommendation of the XS Spring Straps. They were easy to put on (made even easier by the fact that OMS have screws instead of rivets) and are easy to get on and off. I find them more comfortable than the rubber straps as well. My only real concern is that they have made my feet heavier and that my feet are not in as good a position as before for frog kicks.

Spring straps are all similar, but there are differences. One is what covers the springs -- this can be a plastic tube (leaves a fairly hard surface against your heel and can be uncomfortable), fabric (softer, but doesn't distribute pressure) or a broad rubber strap (best for spreading out the pressure, but the ones I've seen have a loop of rubber as well, which one might not like). You also want to make sure that the springs contain some kind of limiter to prevent overstretching. And finally, the method of attachment differs. Some spring straps are set up to snap into the plastic attachments for the original straps, which kind of defeats one of the purposes of spring straps (which is that they don't come OFF). Others require that you remove those attachments and affix the springs to the fin itself, which may require some tool work.

I have Halcyon straps on mine, which have the fabric covering and a limiter, and permanently mount on the fins. But I have to say that the XS Scuba springs have a nice feature, which is a small tab on the strap that you can grab and pull to get them on and off.

My favorite straps are the apollo kind, they do require you to cut your fins but I saw them after being run over by a tour bus and they survived with no signs of what happened. I removed the rubber thing and replaced with a piece of 5/8" clear plastic hose after having issues with that handle catching on darn near everything.

Just don't get the Halcyon because the plastic clip on each side will break or shatter. They crack and then shatter where the two metal pins are driven through. Their warranty was as lacking as the price was high. The first pair broke on second use, the second set broke on the third use, Halcyon did not do anything for me on either. These were mounted to Jet Fins. I now have returned to the good old rubber straps on my old pair of Jets and made custom machined brass blocks for the other. Both of mine shattered, plastic is plastic, it breaks sooner or later.

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

Junk is junk, even if it costs a lot and has a stupid blue H on the package. Good thing they broke because otherwise I would not have my wonderful OxyCheq wings and plates and other great, RUGGED and RELIABLE gear and would instead have that blue H crap with a worthless warranty.

Waywardson on this board makes a nice spring strap kit.

N

Waywardson on this board makes a nice spring strap kit.

N

I have one set of SP spring straps that are the same as the H ones in Nemrod's photos. Mine haven't broken. :) I have one set from Waywardson also and have to say that his use a machined aluminum termination block instead of the plastic and cost about half as much. If I had bought his first I would definitely not own the other brand.

I have one set of SP spring straps that are the same as the H ones in Nemrod's photos. Mine haven't broken. :) I have one set from Waywardson also and have to say that his use a machined aluminum termination block instead of the plastic and cost about half as much. If I had bought his first I would definitely not own the other brand.

I would take pictures of the other one that broke but since it is laying on the bottom of the ocean somewheres I cannot. I am happy that yours have not yet broken, "yet" being the important consideration :wink:. Metal = GOOD, plastic= BAD.

N

sorry, mine are delrin, not aluminum. I may make up a batch of AL ends, but need access to some tools that I don't own. The delrin I use is pretty tough, but it is plastic & could shatter. AL would eliminate that. But I don't have any yet.

I do have both clear PVC & heavy tubular nylon covering now. I just took my personal set apart & put some nylon on them, so I can see how well the color holds up over time & how the feel in use. All I could get in the size needed is red & bright yellow. I'd like to pick up some black if I can find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom