Differences between Jets and Rockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstonedvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So what are the differences between jet fins and rocket fins? Am I correct that Scubapro's Jets came first and Aqualungs rockets are a somewhat knockoff/clone? Is the jet fin popularity more of a monkey see monkey do than a real difference in the fins....I have not dove either fin so I have no dog to fight with, just wondering...
Yarg

I have both. I dove Rockets forever, bought Jets in 2004. I'm told the Rockets are softer & don't perform as well. For my basic kicks I can't say I can tell much difference, I think it may be more obvious for those skilled in additional kicks such as frogs, backing up, helicopter. Stuff that you need as much degree of control as you can get.

I've been told by someone who I think should know (at 78 he's been teaching for over 40 years, diving much longer) that US Divers had to pay Scubapro a fee for every pair of Rockets sold, & have always heard that Jets came 1st. Both were around before I bought my 1st Rockets in 1972.

I've dived 'em both. There's no comparison. I had to work my butt off to get anywhere in Rockets while diving with Jets is pure joy.

One of these days when I go to the springs I need to take both pairs with me & do an in water comparison. Same everything except the fins, then see.

I haven't done that. I never felt lacking while diving with Rockets, nor do I with Jets.

Walter:
I've dived 'em both. There's no comparison. I had to work my butt off to get anywhere in Rockets while diving with Jets is pure joy.

Agree. Though Rocket isn't that bad, I am impressed with the Jet. The rubber material is diferrent and I found that the Jet are stiffer and which is why I preferred it over the Rockets.

Jets have been around since the early 70's (to the best of my knowledge) . Rockets came shortly after. They were lower cost than the Jets. The rubber in both have varied over the years and accordingly performance. Sometimes you get a pair that are just right. Sometimes you don't. My personal favorite (until they disintegrated) were the AMF Swimaster - Jet fin knock-offs.

Jets were one of the first fins I bought after moving to southern California in 1969. They were great during the 70's, but I haven't used mine since the 80's. I prefered my Blades and my Apollo BioFins starting in the late 90's.

Last time I was at ScubaHut in Glen Burnie, MD the owner explained in great detail to my friend (who was buying a pair) that the Jet Fins are made of a few different types of rubber, and he demonstrated that by showing me how flexible the foot pocket was vs. the blade.

He also ranted about the Rocket fins being cheap Jet Fin knockoffs, and believed U.S. Divers had to pay ScubaPro for the design after being sued.

I personally haven't dove with the Rockets - I dive the Jets, though my dad has two pairs of the Rockets. He seems to like them.

Mr.X:
Jets have been around since the early 70's (to the best of my knowledge) .

I believe it was about '65.

Walter:
I believe it was about '65.

Thanks. I saw from Bill's post that he's been using them since the late 60's. I think there is nothing quite as timeless as a good design!

On another note I once rented a pair of jets that were absolutely perfect. They had spring in them, exceptionally comfortable etc. Then I bought a pair of jets (same size) expecting the same performance and they were complete dogs. They cramped my foot on every dive. I bought a pair of Rockets and they did the same too. I wanted to try a Fara-fin, but couldn't afford them at the time as a high school kid without deep pockets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom